It’s Our Time AFN Education Tool Kit
by Assembly of First Nations
This course material is only available in the iTunes U app on iPhone or iPad.
The Assembly of First Nations has developed the It's Our Time First Nations Tool Kit as the basis of a comprehensive strategy to reach out to First Nations students, teachers, schools, communities and the Canadian public at large. The resource is designed to bring together First Nations and non-First Nations people and foster a spirit of cooperation, understanding, and action.
A number of events have led to a greater commitment on the part of Canada and Canadians to reinforce the importance of improving education outcomes for First Nations:
- On September 13, 2007, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP).
- On June 9, 2008, the Prime-Minister of Canada made an official apology to former students of Indian Residential Schools.
- On June 21, 2010, the policy statement titled First Nations Control of First Nations Education was endorsed by Chiefs in Assembly.
- On November 12, 2010, Canada endorsed the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- On February 27, 2012, Shannen's Dream, a motion for equity in First Nations schools, was supported unanimously in the House of Commons.
- On December 7, 2015 the Prime Minister of Canada addressed Assembly of First Nations leaders and committed to resettling Canada's relationship with First Nations, stating "It is time for a renewed, nation-to-nation relationship with First Nations peoples, one that understands that the constitutionally guaranteed rights of First Nations in Canada are not an inconvenience but rather a sacred obligation".