Rufus Wainwright's Playlist
To preview a song, mouse over the title and click Play. Open iTunes to buy and download music.
- 1. "My Man's Gone Now" by Nina Simone: "This a Gershwin song from Porgy & Bess. The reason I chose this piece is because I really think it is one of the most incredible piano voice performances ever recorded. It was instrumental in inspiring me to write songs for the piano and sing - you know, accompany myself, and be as dramatic as possible."
- 2. "Sans Souci" by Peggy Lee: "I just think it's funny because I recently wrote a song called "Sanssouci" which is on my album. My song is about the palace in Potsdam, which is near Berlin, and I think hers is more about being at some crazy party."
- 5. "Trains and Boats and Planes" by Dionne Warwick: "This song is by Burt Bacharach and sung by Dionne Warwick. One of the greatest experiences of my life was getting to play with Burt Bacharach. I got to sing with him and do a few shows with him and, needless to say, it was the apex of this portion of my career. I felt like it was my Dusty Springfield moment and this song, 'Trains and Boats and Planes' is just one of his many classics."
- 6. "69 Année érotique" by Serge Gainsbourg: "I believe this is sung with Jane Birkin. It’s very . . . Serge Gainsbourg. He is the French Dylan or Leonard Cohen and really is considered the greatest French songwriter who ever lived. The way his albums are recorded is fascinating. Everything sounds impeccable up to a certain year and then it got weird but this is from the classic portion."
- 8. "The Threepenny Opera (Die Dreigroschenoper): Pirate Jenny" by Lotte Lenya & Theo Mackeben Jazz Orchestra: "I don’t know if this is the name of it, but I call it 'Jenny the Pirate.' Jenny, the character . . . it’s sung by Lotte Lenya and it’s Jenny’s main song from the Threepenny Opera by Kurt Weil. I just love it so much because when I was a teenager I used to pretend to be Jenny (ha ha) and get naked in my dorm room and put pearls on, stare at myself in the mirror, and lip-sync to this."
Name Artist Time Price 1 My Man's Gone Now Nina Simone 4:15 $0.99 View In iTunes 2 Sans Souci Peggy Lee 3:20 $0.99 View In iTunes 3 Mystery Train Elvis Presley 2:29 $0.99 View In iTunes 4 Hammond Song The Roches 5:45 $0.99 View In iTunes 5 Trains and Boats and Planes Dionne Warwick 2:48 $0.99 View In iTunes 6 69 Année érotique Serge Gainsbourg 3:17 $1.29 View In iTunes 7 Accentuate the Positive Perry Como 2:17 $0.99 View In iTunes 8 The Threepenny Opera (Die Dreigroschenoper): Pirate Jenny Lotte Lenya & Theo Mackeben Jazz Orchestra 4:06 $0.99 View In iTunes 8 Songs
- Released: Aug 27, 2007