This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Castro lets you track lots of podcasts at once without getting overwhelmed. Here’s how it works:
1) Newly published episodes land in the INBOX. From here, you can read the descriptions, decide if you’re interested, queue the good ones and archive the rest.
2) The QUEUE is a central playlist to plan your listening in advance. Queued episodes are automatically downloaded.
3) Press Play. Castro plays your queue in order from top to bottom. Reorder or archive queued episodes anytime.
4) In the ARCHIVE you can find the back catalogue of all shows you subscribe to, browse your listening history, and easily access your starred episodes
We call this “Triage”. Triage lets you expand your listening habits without getting overwhelmed. With Castro, subscribing to a podcast doesn’t mean making a commitment to listen to every episode. You don’t have to choose a narrow few shows and miss out on the rest.
SHARING AND DISCOVERING NEW PODCASTS
Castro provides the top charts by genre so you can browse popular shows easily. Tap search to easily find shows you know or hear about.
Personal recommendations from friends are another great way to find new shows. Castro users can easily share direct links to episodes and podcasts. Tapping a Castro link will open the episode in the app, where you can queue it right away. If your friends don't have Castro yet, a beautiful web interface lets them play the episode from a browser.
The Castro iMessage App makes sharing even easier.
- Easily share recently played episodes with your friends and family
- When you receive a recommendation from someone else add it to your queue without leaving the Messages app
Castro maintains a chronological list of your played episodes in History. This makes it easy to find these episodes for sharing later.
If you hear an episode you love, you can star it. Your starred list becomes your personal podcast hall of fame, allowing you to easily share your favourite episodes next time someone asks you for a recommendation.
Castro’s notifications look great, and include a short summary of the episode to help you decide if it interests you. From the notification you can play, queue or archive the episode directly, without opening the app.
Enhanced Audio improves the listening experience for many podcasts and makes it easier to hear in loud environments. Under the hood, Enhanced Audio applies a dynamic compressor and a peak limiter to increase volume just where it’s needed.
CarPlay is better with Castro. You’ve already queued the episodes you’re interested in, so it’s one tap to start playing. Castro’s powerful queue and inbox system means that you don’t need to dig through collections of playlists to find the episode you’re looking for.
WIDGET & QUICK ACTIONS
Castro’s Widget reveals the next 4-12 episodes in your queue at a glance. Tap the podcast artwork to open Castro and start playing that episode.
Quick Actions also allow 3D Touch users to start a sleep timer, search for a podcast using the clipboard, and jump straight to the inbox or the queue, by force pressing on the app icon.
- Drag and drop support on iOS 11 to help you triage and reorder your queue.
- Castro sports an elegant dark mode and well-thought out sleep timer, offering the best in night time podcast listening.
- Our "Tentacles" backend server constantly scans for new episodes across every podcast, so your phone doesn’t have to, saving battery life and data usage.
- Download and Storage management: Queued episodes are automatically downloaded, so you can focus on deciding what you want to hear and let Castro manage the details.
- Fine scrubbing: drag the playhead to scan quickly, or drag the waveform for precision scrubbing.
- Beautifully rendered full screen show notes allow you to follow up and explore links of episodes that provide these details.
- Rotation support, and big playback controls on the player for easy use while driving.
What's New in Version 2.5.3
* New design for iPhone X.
* Handoff to Mac now works on podcast screens.
* Fixes issue where incorrect episode could get associate with a downloaded file, leading to the wrong episode playing.
* Fixes a crash that could occur when pausing an episode.
* When typing a URL in manually to the search bar, Castro no longer submits the search as you type.