This application allows you to explore, and learn more about, the Antonine Wall, part of the Frontiers of the Roman Empire World Heritage Site. The Antonine Wall was a turf defence built by the Romans around 142 AD, across the central belt of Scotland. Today, there are a number of forts and fortlets, a bathhouse, and impressive remains of the ditches and banks within easy reach of towns and railway stations. Download the app and experience 360° virtual reconstructions, ‘handle’ 3D models of artefacts, and explore the sites along the Wall - even from your armchair!
* Explore the Antonine Wall in the landscape
* GPS navigation with alert for nearby points of interest
* Discover and ‘handle’ 3D objects and models
* View 360° virtual reconstructions
* Download maps and contents to your phone for easy offline usage
* Automatic updates as new sites and content are added
The zoomable OSM map data provides easy access to the content. Both maps and content are available offline (internet connection is not mandatory). Clickable Points Of Interest on the maps start the content on request. 3D models, 360 views, video and audio sequences as well as text-/picture information are provided. An integrated GPS navigation with an alert guides you to the sites. An alternative list view shows you the available content.
Currently content is available for the Roman fort at Bar Hill. Subsequently more sites along the line of the Antonine Wall will be added.
The project is co-funded by the Creative Europe programme.
Project partners are:
* Historic Environment Scotland (Scotland)
* Landesstelle für nichtstaatliche Museen in Bavaria (Bavaria)
* CDDV – Centre for Digital Documentation and Visualisation (Scotland)
* edufilm und medien GmbH (Austria)
Thanks go to:
*Bayerische Sparkassenstiftung (the Bavarian Savings Bank Foundation) for funding the original app platform.
*The Hunterian Museum, Glasgow for providing access to the artefacts from the Antonine Wall in their collections.
*Local authority Partners and funders: West Dunbartonshire Council, Glasgow City Council, East Dunbartonshire Council, North Lanarkshire Council, and Falkirk Council.
The application is available for free.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.