By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Break through language barriers with Google Translate.
• Translate 90 languages
• Converse naturally and let Google translate
• Translate with your voice, camera, keyboard or handwriting
• Star your favourite translations for quick access even when you’re offline
• View dictionary results for single words or phrases
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Sesotho, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
Novosibirsk Metro image by Wikipedia user Sskz, used as per the CC-BY-SA 3.0 licence, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/.
What's New in Version 3.3.0
• Improved stability. Fixed crash bugs.
• Improved support for the VoiceOver screen reader.
• Word Lens: Just point your camera to a sign or text and the Translate app will instantly translate the text, even without Internet/data connection. Currently available in: English ⇄ French, English ⇄ German, English ⇄ Italian, English ⇄ Portuguese, English ⇄ Russian, English ⇄ Spanish.
• Camera Mode: Snap a photo, highlight the text and get a translation. Currently available in 36 languages.
• Automatic language detection in speech/conversation mode – start translating with speech input and Translate will recognise which of the two languages is being spoken, allowing you to have a more fluid conversation with another person.
Lacking for advanced users
The app is great for basic use to translate something here and there, but it lacks some easy to implement power user features. I use iPad Air 2 with Logitech Type+ keyboard and I use the app while reading physical books in foreign language.
It would be brilliant if I wouldn't need to take my hands off the keyboard and I could focus the input field from within keyboard, like cmd+q or something equivalent. Currently I have to use touch to tap on the input field every single time.
Even better would be to detect that physical keyboard is attached and never unfocus input field after submitting the phrase. The unfocus purpose is as I understand to dismiss on-screen keyboard and show the translation bellow, but since when physical keyboard is attached, the on-screen keyboard is never visible anyways and so it is useless to do that.
I really hope this will be done in the near future, so that I can ditch my laptop and be the same productive on iPad.
Very bad app!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 19 March 2015
- Version: 3.3.0
- Size: 24.6 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: Google, Inc.
- © 2015 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.