Provides a flat compass view and an augmented reality 3-D view showing the solar path, its hour intervals, its equinox, winter and summer solstice paths, rise and set times, twilight times, magic hours and more and a map view showing solar direction for each daylight hour. Also includes sun-event device notifications plus a widget showing today's solar data and position on arc.
Featured in numerous high-profile blogs, websites, and publications, including Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Sydney Morning Herald etc. "Truly amazing", "Incredible", "Brilliant" - the most genuinely useful application of augmented reality - ever!
▶ Photographers - for planning optimal light conditions, sunrise/sunset directions, golden and blue hour times
▶ Cinematographers - to find exact sun exposure, directions and times for any location
▶ Real Estate Buyers - to find the sun exposure of properties you are considering
▶ Drivers - find how long your car will remain in the shade at any given parking spot
▶ Campers and Picnickers - for finding where to camp, sit, pitch an umbrella
▶ Gardeners - for finding optimal planting locations and seasonal sunlight hours
▶ Architects - for visualising the spatial variability of the solar angle throughout the year
▶ All Sun Lovers! To find the sun, even when it is hidden by clouds or walls
* Uses GPS, magnetometer and gyroscope to find the correct solar position and path for your current location
* Flat compass view showing current solar position, diurnal solar angle and elevation (separated into day & night segments), shadow length ratio, atmospheric path thickness
* 3D augmented reality camera overlay view showing the sun's current position, its path with hour points marked
* Camera view also has an optional pointer to guide you towards the current location of the sun
* Map view showing solar direction arrows and elevations for each hour of the day
* Ability to choose any date and view solar path for that day
* Ability to choose any location on earth (includes 40,000+ cities or custom locations)
* Additional details including rise, set and culmination times, maximum elevation, civil, nautical and astronomical twilight times
* Optional device notifications for all manner of sun-related periods and events, such as golden or blue hours, various twilight periods, or sun at a given compass heading or above a given elevation.
* User option to include summer and winter solstice paths on both flat compass view and camera view
Videos, videos, videos
* Check out our YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ENGG6Drww
* Search YouTube for "Sun Seeker app" for many other videos, websites and blogs created by enthusiastic users
* See http://www.ozpda.com/sunseeker/faqs.html - also easily accessible from the app's info screen
* IMPORTANT - Please ensure that Settings / Location Services / System Settings / Compass Calibration is switched ON. The app's 3D view cannot work without it!
* The compass accuracy depends on having an undistorted magnetic field around your device. If you use it close to metallic objects or electrical equipment, directional accuracy may be impaired.
* Ensures that any prompts for app rating are infrequent at most.
Sorry to anyone who felt "bugged" by prompts. This was unintentional, as I had wrongly believed that iOS's built-in rate limiting would have prevented repeated requests, although it seems that some new app users were seeing up to the maximum of three annual requests in rapid succession. Also note that users can disable all app rating requests globally via device Settings if they wish, to avoid ratings prompts in general.
Ratings and Reviews
Sun Seeker app
Virker helt perfekt. Kan anbefales.
Fantastic,i used it when i was looking at houses to buy,to see how much sun I would get on the terrace and for how long,,ended up buying a house with sun all day:). This app works
A useful photo app
I use this app for landscape photography, and it’s great for finding the right time of year and day to get the right direction of sunlight in your shots. Also, you can easily store the gps coordinates for your favourite locations once you’re in the field. These are the main reasons why I find the app useful.
Additionally, with the AR feature, you can use the camera to see the position of the sun and its path on the sky, letting you know the sun height at any given time while you’re in the field. This way you can see when the sun will descend below a group of mountains, how long time you can preserve shadow at a location you use for shooting portraits etc etc. If similar informations were available without having to go to the actual location, I would give the app five stars. It would be very useful if you’re considering a shoot far from where you live.
The user interface is ok but may take a bit of practice getting used to.
Thanks for the review! Just want to let you know that you can already also choose any remote location and see all the same solar information for that remote location. Either tap on button at top/left and search for another location there, or else go into map view and search via the map search feature to find the new location you want, and tap on marker label of found location to save it to a list of saved locations to revisit in future.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.