Day One (Journal / Notes / Diary)
By Bloom Built, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
2014 Mac Apple Design Award Winner, 2012 Mac App of the Year, Award-winning journaling app for iPhone, iPad, and Mac: 2011 #1 Best Apps of Mac App Store, and Jan 2012 App Store App of the Week.
Record life as you live it. From once-in-a-lifetime events to everyday moments, Day One's elegant interface makes journaling your life a simple pleasure.
"Makes journaling as easy as tweeting." —Cameron Moll, esteemed design and tech leader
"A simple and always accessible new kind of micro-journaling..." —The Verge
Capture all your favorite memories and photos with Day One.
Day One provides:
## Superior writing experience ##
• Clean, distraction-free interface
• Multi-Markdown text formatting
• Full screen mode
• Privacy passcode lock
• Photographic entries
## Apple Watch App (iPhone only) ##
• Location check-in
• Voice dictation
• Customizable quick entries (including tags and activity data)
• Last photo taken
• View recent entries
## Context ##
Each Day One entry automatically tracks:
• Photo EXIF data
• Temperature and weather data
• Locations (GPS and Foursquare Places)
• Time and date
• Activity data - Motion and step count (iPhone 5s)
• Music playing
## Encouragement ##
• Customized writing reminders
• Inspirational quotes and questions (Mac version)
## Organization ##
• Search by keyword
• Create tags and #hashtags
• Star favorite entries
• Browse past entries by calendar, timeline, maps, and more
## Sync and Backup ##
• Sync entries across all your iOS devices with Dropbox or iCloud (Mac sync with purchase of Mac app)
• Backup/PDF export (with date range and tag filters) and Printing
## Sharing ##
• Handpick entries to share with family, friends, and the world.
• "Publish" by Day One creates an individual webpage on dayone.me for each entry you choose to publish.
• If you want to share entries with more people, you can post to social services like Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare on a per-entry basis.
• Each entry retains social sharing stats and links, including views, likes, and shares.
• Learn more about Publish at http://dayone.me/publish.
• Email entries (PDF, HTML, or Plain Text)
"Day One Journal... using it every day now." —Jack Dorsey, founder of Twitter and Square
"I love Day One diary software as well because it syncs across computers and reminds me politely to record my life in little snippets."—Felicia Day, Actress and Producer
"Day One is probably the most powerful app I have on my Mac and iOS devices..." —Federico Viticci, MacStories
From "how to" questions to technical inquiries, the Day One Support Center has the answers for you:
What's New in Version 1.17.1
- Added support for using 1Password when logging into a Day One account.
- Fixed issue with "Last Photo Taken" option when adding a photo to an entry.
- Fixed issue where some international regions with 12-hour time wouldn't use photo metadata when setting an entry’s date/time to photo’s date/time.
- Day One Sync performance improvements.
- Other minor improvements.
No focus on security or reliability?
iPhone 6 user here with Touch ID enabled for login authentication. About every other day when I try to launch Day One it just freezes on the "put your thumb on the button to continue" and no matter how long you wait or push the home button to give up and close out of this app, it locks up the whole phone until you power down. Also, it's been several years now and still there is no way to encrypt your entires. Yes folks, if someone gets access to your Dropbox they can easily get into the database this app uses and read your entries in clear text. Don't get me wrong this is a great app (when it works) and I've been using it every day for the past 2-3 years. However the developers need to stop focusing on little unnecessary features like what music I'm listening to or if I'm jogging or sitting down and rather focus on some security enhancements and reliability improvements in the app. Also, I submitted a lot of screenshots and whatnot to explain a bug I found with the step counter and all I got back was generic response claiming they would look into it but yet another update later, and still no improvement. Very disappointed.
Time Changes and Pictures
I would have given this a 5 star because I absolutely love this journal. However, I have discovered a slight issue. When you create a new entry it automatically creates a date and time stamp (which I love), but the time seems to be synced with the automatic setting of the device. When you change time zones, the time on all the entries changes to match the new time zone. I don't like this. When I create an entry at 5:00pm in the Eastern Time Zone and then go to Germany (which is where I am now), I want that time stamp to continue to say 5:00, but it does not, it adjusted to 11:00pm on that entry. It has done that for all my entries, adjust the times 6 hours ahead. I want the time stamps to be permanent and not change according to time zone I am in. It should remain 5:00 no matter where I am at in the world and only change it I want to change it manually. One other thing, I would like to be able to add more than one picture to an entry, say 2 - 5 pictures.
Awesome. Just Awesome.
I've had a physical journal for more than ten years and I have only written 6 or so entries in it over that space of time. I've already written 17 different entries in Day One! This app makes documenting my life easy and fun to look at later. The search functions of it makes it really easy to find a memory I'm looking for. The only thing I wish knew more about in this app is how safe my entries are. I'm only afraid of losing what I have written because I'm not sure how Day One's cloud storage works. Other than that though, this app is an easy 9 out of 10.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Lifestyle
- Updated: Jun 17, 2015
- Version: 1.17.1
- Size: 37.1 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Bloom Built, LLC
- © Bloom Built, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.