Desktop Groups Lite
By Kitestack Software
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
** No more chaos on your desktop. Keep related files in groups. **
The app lets you create up to 5 groups of related files on your desktop. You can freely move groups of files around on your desktop and add or remove files via drag & drop.
Each group has a title so that you can organize your files any way you like. For example, you could create separate groups for each project you are working on, or add separate groups for photos and text documents. If you frequently take screenshots, that would be another good fit for a group. The possibilities are endless.
Quick Look integration: press Space or ⌘Y to open a Quick Look preview of the selected file.
• Group related files on your desktop (up to 5 groups)
• Add/remove files via drag & drop
• Freely move groups around
• Resize groups by dragging either edge/corner
• Rename by double-clicking on the group title
• Context menu with more options
What's New in Version 1.4.1
BEFORE YOU WRITRE A REVIEW about your 'files disappearing', they are in the "Desktop Groups" folder on your desktop. If you have questions, please use the Support link (developers can't respond to reviews).
- Updated for the MacBook Pro with Retina display
- Addressed issue where group would minimize while Quick Look window was open
This App Made My Files Disappear
Forgive the reference to magicians, but that is actually what happened. I installed the lite version, create a few groups, and added the files from my desktop. Many of these files were relatively important and maybe that is my mistake for experimenting with them. When I noticed that the app was running in the dock, I closed the app to see if the groups would remain. When the app closes, so do the groups. But when I relaunched the app, there were no groups. And what is worse, when I checked the "desktop groups" folder that was created by the app, the files were no longer stored there. I checked the trash and even searched the entire hard drive by keywords from the names of the missing files, but they were nowhere to be found. Very disappointed in this experience. At least I can redownload a few of the lots files, although most are lost forever in the desktop group abyss…be careful with this one, or just avoid altogether.
Just a view of files in folders
I'm constantly moving files onto my desktop for use in other applications, then deleting them after use. So, I was excited to use this app to manage my groups of files quickly without them becoming mixed up. However, there are some basic usability issues:
- You cannot rename files in the widgets without opening the folder in finder or moving them back to the desktop
- You cannot multi-select files. This means you have to move items one by one if moving them between groups or deleting them
- You cannot delete a file from the widget, doing so just moves it to the desktop
- It is difficult to grab the edge to resize, especially when auto-collapse is set. Having a visible grip would help a lot here.
Idea is good, but impl is flawed
It’s Fences for mac, but when you trigger a shortcut to view Desktop (I use a hot corner), all the groups go away, so you need to manually hide all open applications to use them, which is annoying. But wait, they thought about that! It has a preferences to force the groups to stay opened when you trigger such shortcut, but no one there seems to realize this screws up Mission Control and Application Windows, because now they STILL stays there, behind all the windows and ON TOP OF the Dashboard and your Desktops previews, which is a huge deal-breaker, and ugly as hell… Deleted.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Apr 06, 2013
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 4.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Rico Gundermann
- © Kitestack Software
Compatibility: OS X 10.7.3 or later, 64-bit processor