Galileo Offline Maps - OSM based project for hikers & bikers traveling the wilderness
By Evgen Bodunov
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Go offline anywhere you want — offline vector maps and offline search for your better travel experience. Record your GPS tracks, bookmark your favorite locations and sync them between your devices.
!! (Paid) features may be unlocked through in-app purchase. !!
• Totally free – there is no limit on the number of countries/regions you can download.
• Detailed and informative – because they based on OpenStreetMap.org data.
• Up-to-date and accurate – we update them monthly.
• Take up less space than others and work really fast – app uses GPUs in addition to CPUs to render vector maps.
• Changeable size of labels – large labels on maps is extremely useful while driving.
• Multiple languages support – map labels will be changed to the selected language immediately.
• Incredible fast – results appear instantly as you type.
• It works in variety of ways – by object name, category or even by GPS coordinates.
• It finds objects in multiple languages – this will make your searching much easier than ever.
• No internet connection required.
Geo data syncing:
• iCloud and Dropbox sync supported.
• Any number of devices could sync simultaneously.
GPS Tracks Recording: (Paid)
• Record your trips and export them as KML/GPX files.
• Monitor your real-time speed, distance and time traveled, as well as altitude right on the map during the trip.
• Beautiful gradients to visualise altitude and speed changes.
Bookmarks on the Map: (Paid)
• Mark your favorite places on your maps and set points of interest for your next trip.
• Choose from lots of icons to assign to bookmarks.
• Store your bookmarks and GPS tracks in separate collections for a quick access.
Sharing Your Geodata:
• Share your itineraries from the app via Mail, Facebook and Twitter
• Export them in the most common formats: KML & GPX.
Backing Up Your Data:
• Back up your collections to have the copy of data that may be lost or deleted by mistake.
• Restore data to your device from the backup you created earlier in one tap.
• Transfer backuped data to another iOS device or app
Offline Maps Import: (Paid)
• Import previously created custom offline maps in .sqlitedb or .mbtiles format (use Mobile Atlas Creator, TileMill or SAS.Planet to generate offline maps).
And even more:
• Custom map sources support (including multi-layer sources)
• Different coordinate formats (including MGRS)
• Importing KML/GPX files into the app
• GPS filtering (accuracy and distance threshold)
• Bearing line to bookmark
• One finger zooming
• Online search
• Measuring distance between two points on the map
• Works on slow iOS5 devices iPad 1 and iPhone 3GS
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.3.3
! Sync your geo data between devices via iCloud or Dropbox.
• Drag and drop items between collections in list.
• Update your map to get drinking water places on the map and search for restrooms without an Internet.
Please take 2 minutes to rate the new version on the App Store!
I've used this app for years, especially when traveling out of cell range. The vector maps are amazingly-detailed for their small data size. Now I use it a lot while cycling... I build a route online, then load the kml into this app and just follow the route... it's all offline, so no need to bite into my data cap. At the same time I use it to record my route, for upload to Strava or the like, and to geocode my photos later. Five stars.
Excellent app for using map data offline!
Easy to use, full featured--recommended.
Love this app! Having maps for off-line viewing is excellent! There is NO other app like it!!
I've been using it for years and it just keeps getting better!! Now it's got small DETAILED downloadable maps that you can access fast, require no data and uses less power (no data means less power). And that is FREE! The in-app purchases are for other more advanced features. When you’re out all day or hiking where there is no cell service this is nice to have! This is a new feature, is easy to use and is free (any older reviews that say you must purchase are incorrect, the old way was complicated and not for the average user).
This is one of the first apps I install on people’s iPhones for them. It’s great to have a map that does not require data downloads or a signal. I travel to Costa Rica often and it’s a must have app.
They recently added vector maps: small detailed scaleable maps. These are easily downloadable from the app itself (they are rolling this feature out, so you may not see every country yet). This means with a quick download (30MB) I have all the details do the the city street and many landmarks. Here’s the important part: if I’m in an area of Michigan with no cell coverage I can still view my map because I already downloaded the whole thing! (You MUST leave your settings on “vector", or it will try to download maps for whatever setting you are set at!)
Please understand what this app does. It’s a digital MAP, not a GPS, the map will show you where you are, not route you (just like a big paper map, but with a magic dot where you are). If you download the sector maps (and have the settings set for vector maps) it does not need any data (I use this on an iPad with no data plan and it works great!).
Please do not leave a bad review if does not do something you think it should do, read the description for what it says it does do! I say that because this is one of those apps with a huge number of 5 star review and 1 star reviews but most of those 1 star reviews are because the program is not supposed to do what they are complaining about, the reviewer didn't read the description.
They added the vector feature close to a year ago, reviews from before then aren't even accurate any more, the addition of the vector maps TOTALLY changes the way the program works (although all old features still work too).
My old maps (created the hard way) still work great, but 99% of the time I’ll be using these new vector maps.
Other EXCELLENT features require in app purchase (these features are free in pro version):
Downloading other off-line maps (this is great and it why I purchased it in the first place) you can get maps from different sources and build them (on your desktop computer) and put them on the device for later. I downloaded great maps with heights of the hills/mountains for where I hike in Costa Rica, I don’t need to use international data roaming for this since I built them once and they stay on the device.
You can also leave bookmarks in the app, incredibly useful for marking places that have no other frame of reference.
You can have it record a path/trail for where you have been and view (or export) where you’ve been. When hiking, I think of it as bread crumbs.
I miss the old app icon but I’m not going to ding the app any points for that!
These folks listen to feedback so write them with suggestions, people complained about the alert notifications and they removed it (but the old reviews are still there). I’ve sent them country suggestions (was there a week or two later), font size suggestions, bug reports and more.
They’re constantly updating the maps and they have WAY more maps available then back in early 2014 when they added downloadable maps to the app.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Aug 23, 2015
- Version: 3.3.3
- Size: 30.8 MB
- Languages: English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Evgen Bodunov
- © Evgen Bodunov
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- All-in-One Features Pack$3.99
- Offline Maps Import$0.99
- GPS Track Recording$1.99
- All-in-One Features Pack$2.99
- All-in-One Features Pack$1.99
- Customizing Map Features$0.99