Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
GarageBand turns your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play a piano, organ, guitar, and drums. They sound and play like their counterparts, but let you do things you could never do on a real instrument. Enjoy Smart Instruments that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug an electric guitar into your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch and play through classic amps and stompbox effects.* Use a Touch Instrument, a built-in microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance. GarageBand now takes song creation to the next level with support for up to 32 tracks.** Get even more sounds for GarageBand with a one-time in-app purchase or record popular third-party music apps using Inter-App Audio in iOS 7. And share your song using email, Facebook, YouTube, SoundCloud, or AirDrop for iOS.
Play your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch like a musical instrument
• Play musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Tap out beats with an acoustic and electronic drum kit
• Record your voice using the built-in microphone and apply fun sound effects
• Recreate legendary guitar rigs with 9 amps and 10 stompbox effects*
• Use the Sampler to create an instrument from sounds you record, then play them on a keyboard*
• Record compatible third-party music apps right into GarageBand using Inter-App Audio in iOS 7
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Conduct an entire string orchestra with just one finger using Smart Strings*
• Tap chords to instantly create keyboard grooves with the Smart Keyboard*
• Strum chords on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar, trigger fingerpicking patterns for popular chords, or switch to Notes view to try your hand at the real thing
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds*
• Drag drum instruments onto a grid to create your own beats with Smart Drums*
Start a Jam Session with your friends
• Use your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to play or record live over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with up to three of your friends
• Tempo, key, time signature, and chords automatically sync to the bandleader
• Jam with any Touch Instrument or live instruments like electric guitar or voice
• The bandleader automatically collects everyone's recordings so they can be mixed as a song and shared
Create a song anywhere you go
• Arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks** using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops
• Use the Note Editor to adjust or fine-tune any Touch Instrument recording
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Use the Mixer to fine-tune each track’s volume —solo or mute any track or adjust pan, reverb, and echo
• Choose from over 250 professionally prerecorded loops as a backing band to your song
Share your songs
• Keep your GarageBand songs up to date across all your iOS devices with iCloud
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs directly to Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud
• Email songs right from GarageBand
• Export your song and add it to the iTunes library on your Mac or PC
• Share GarageBand projects directly between iOS devices using Airdrop for iOS
* Requires one-time in-app purchase for the complete collection of GarageBand instruments and sounds.
** 32 tracks available on iOS devices with the A7 chip. 16 tracks available on iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPad (4th generation), iPad (3rd generation), iPad 2, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
What's New in Version 2.0
• All-new streamlined design
• Create a song with up to 32 tracks* using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops
• Record compatible Third-Party music apps using Inter-App Audio in iOS 7
• Drag and drop audio recordings to create Sampler instruments
• Support for AirDrop in iOS 7
• 64-bit support
* Requires devices with the A7 chip.16 tracks available on iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPad (4th generation), iPad (3rd generation), iPad 2, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation)
Paid version owner can restore purchase
Many previous owners of the paid version of GarageBand complain about the new in-app purchase. Actually, you don't have to buy the in-app purchase again.
You can restore your purchase just like an in-app purchase owner, just use the same iTunes Store account name you used to purchase the original paid version.
Here's the how-to steps.
1. If you have multiple Apple ID, sign-in the Apple ID you used to purchase paid version of GarageBand, download and install the GarageBand from that account too.
2. In GarageBand, scroll to locked instrucments, click on it.
3. On the confirmation page, don't click "Cancel" or "Continue", please click "Already purchased?" in the bottom, the text is quite small.
4. A pop-up will ask you to sign-in to iTunes Store, type the password of the Apple ID you used to purchase old version of GarageBand.
5. Another pop-up will say "Thank you. The complete collection of GarageBand instruments and sounds has been restored."
To Apple staff, could you add some details about this in your Details page, some customers don't know that, and rate GarageBand a 1-star for that reason.
Issue report & appreciation
Hello, love the app, bought it when it was 3x the price, still glad I did.
One problem: if I have a guitar plugged in, I usually use an apogee jam, and I minimize the app, or close, or if the app flakes out, and then return when the guitar isn't plugged in, it shrieks louder than any glitch ever. I had monitor headphones on the first time and my ears rang for three days. I'm not joking, not exaggerating, it was the first day I had the apogee connection, and I have a flinch of fear wash over me every time I open the app now. If there's anything you can do about it, it would be nice.. Could you imagine it happening while plugged into a PA at a live show?
That said.. I'm looking forward to updates, and on my wishlist is only individual track volume automation for fade outs and so forth—would allow me to get a lot further before sending to my Mac. And of course any developments in inter-app midi, importing samples, etc. I'd really like to program midi in garageband and have it use Magellan sort of like a vst. Eh, I can dream.
Anyways, much love, developers.
3DRager on twitter
From beginner to expert, this is an absolute must have app.
For beginners, it is simple enough to actually teach you more about song making.
For experts, it has just enough tools to lay down a demo track for any song idea you may have.
The ONLY feature I wish it would add/improve is a vocals track. Something similar to the ImproVox app, including presets for popular vocal effects (compression, pitch correction, EQ, etc...) to allow users to lay down great sounding vocals to the songs.
Then, GarageBand for iOS would be a complete force to be reckoned with. I only wish this tool was available back when I was in a band in high school. We put so much time and effort into making the songs we recorded sound great, yet they still sounded like crap.
With GarageBand, everything sounds great! Not 100% radio quality, but extraordinarily close. It excites me about what will be possible in a few years. Studios may become a thing of the past.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Oct 22, 2013
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 610 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 2011-2013 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Complete collection of GarageBand instruments and sounds$4.99