By Bastus Trump
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
## Featured by Apple as "Band in your Hand" ##
Orphion is a musical instrument with a unique sound between string instrument and percussion. Everyone can play expressive, wonderful sounds and easy or virtuosic melodies on it just by moving fingers on virtual pads.
This video shows you how to play: https://vimeo.com/35131490
What can I do with it?
• Express the sounds you feel
• Play polyphonic music very expressively
• Crazy drumming
• Dream and relax
• Create soundscapes and melodies without musical knowledge
• Visually explore music and music theory
• Different articulations from soft to plucked to hardly slapped
• Natural interaction
• Extend your ways of expression as a percussionist, guitarist, pianist or other musician
• 15 transposable pad layouts with different tonalities from easy to complex
• 8 individual voices for 8 fingers (4 on iPad 1)
• MIDI support: Play your favorite synth with the revolutionary Orphion interface
• Audiobus support: Stream live audio from Orphion directly to other Audiobus-compatible apps
• Orphion Editor (availible as upgrade): Create and share your own custom pad layouts. Download new pad layouts from Orphion Universe
What others say about Orphion:
"We love this instrument! So cool. Great for Deep House, IDM, Ambient, and whatever!" - iPadloops
"A simple but profoundly beautiful and expressive music app" - Evolutionaryarts.org
"Orphion is very customizable and flexible — truly functioning as a full-fledged electronic instrument" - Harrison Weber, The next web
Follow us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Orphion
What's New in Version 1.6.2
Fixes problems with the editor upgrade
Incredibly Full Featured and Unique
Even without the 99 cent IAP, this app/ instrument has pad configurations galore in which one can change and manipulate notes. With the purchase though, you can basically Create your own pad configurations in terms of placement, size, notes, holds, crisp, wet; etc.. :) Initially I purchased as a percussion instrument and it is that plus an array of other unique and fully customisable sounds that I'm enjoying. If you like bass guitar, you can get deep of the deep, vibrate the walls kind of bass or completely subtle and that kind of range applies to whatever you want to achieve. Also, the developer was very responsive and on top of the whoIe IAP issue, plus followed up which is always appreciated. The same attention to detail and care is also abundant in this app.
Nothing Like It
I returned to Orphion again after not having played it in a while, because being able to put the pads exactly where I want them, triggering the exact notes I want, with whatever synth voice I choose (through virtual MIDI) is just sweet.
I kept seeing this in the App Store but passed it by, because I didn't think it was the kind of app I would like. I was completely wrong. While almost every musical app out there provides a tiny keyboard or set of pads, Orphion provides pad layouts that are natural and ergonomic. The creator of Orphion noticed something the others seem to have missed – with a touchscreen, we're not limited to a single input layout.
Problems with soundcloud upload
Nice app. I like the controller aspect but I could never get the soundcloud to work. I was talking to support for a while but then they just stopped answering my emails. If you are getting this for the record to soundcloud function you may want to think about it.