Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
*** Please NOTE that Palua Smart Mode does NOT work properly with Logitech K750 keyboard and other third-party keyboard ***
Quickly switch the mode of your Function Keys on any Mac keyboard!
You need to run a game, or start a graphic application, or work on a project that need F1-F12 as function keys, just hit option+command+TAB and the switch will happen.
With Palua, you just need one click - or one hotkey - to toggle the mode your Fx keys are.
- SMART Mode: Key mode changes with the application that has the focus. When an application has the wrong mode, hit the shortcut, and the settings is automatically stored in the pref if it wasn't defined before.
- Fast Switching: Right click the icon in the menu bar to switch the mode.
- Customizable shortcut: Use the one you like, thanks to the shortcut recorder (see About screen)
- Icons theme: Choose from four different themes for your icons displayed in the menu bar
- Notifications: Added Growl support, and the possibility to have NO notifications at all.
What's New in Version 3.0.3
Bug Fixes only
- Fixed a bug where notification would appear at the wrong place on the screen after a screen resize or use of an external display
- Fixed a translation error in German
Simple but effective
There's not a whole lot to this app, but what it does, it does very well. I was looking for something to allow me to easily toggle the behavior of the function keys for when I'm working in my Windows 7 VM. I use a lot of Windows programs that make heavy use of function keys and having to actually hold down the Mac's fn key each time is a headache. What Palua gave me is much more, though. It has the original simple toggle I was looking for, but it also has a "Smart Toggle" that will automatically switch to one scheme or another based upon the app you're working in. Even better, it works perfectly with Parallels. I just added the Parallels app, set it to normal function key mode, and now if I switch to the VM I'm in normal function key mode, and if I switch back to a Mac app, I'm in the Apple function key mode. Just set and forget - beautiful.
Another VMWare user here. I need to use F keys in a Windows environment but I’ve actually started mapping certain OSX applications to use the F keys as well because of this little app. It’s .99, if you use VMWare buy it. If you don’t I’m sure you can find a use for it so buy it anyway. My only problem with this app is that the icon looks off center in the menu bar. If that’s fixed it’ll be perfect but it gets five stars anyway from not having to constantly switch the F keys on and off everyday.
Smart mode is what sold me on this application. Unfortunately, 2 minutes after buying it, I stopped using it forever.
It only allows you to set all F-keys on or all F-keys off. While smart mode allows you to automatically toggle between the two states dependent upon what program is in the foreground, what it lacks is the ability to toggle only a subset of all the F-keys. In particular, I only want F1-F6 to toggle in smart mode, and I want the rest of my keys to stay in apple mode as media keys.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 20, 2012
- Version: 3.0.3
- Size: 1.4 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Olivier Palliere
- © 2011 Molowa
Compatibility: OS X 10.6 or later