By Samuel Iglesias
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Tea is the ultimate tea companion. Learn about teas from all over the world with Tea's Encyclopedia, including preparation tips, signs of quality, tasting notes, harvest seasons and more. Brew the perfect cup every time with Tea's smart tea timer and note taker. Whether you're looking up what "Sencha" is when you're at a cafe or refining your oolong's steep time to perfection, Tea's got you covered.
• Tea Encyclopedia: Learn about teas from all over the world with Tea's all-new Encyclopedia: where they're grown, how they're made, preparation tips, signs of quality, and more! Tea can now recognize over 500 tea names.
• Tea to Try: Tea's Encyclopedia integrates with Reminders to allow you to create a list of teas to try.
• Smart Tea Timer: Tea's terrific timer remembers your favorite brew times for each of your teas.
• Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram Integration: With the tap of a button, you can have Tea share your tasting notes and photos with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• Teapot Picker: Tea's teapot picker lets you choose which teapot you'll use to brew your tea, and can even automatically tell you how much tea you'll need for that teapot.
• Notes and Rating System: After your timer is up, Tea lets you save tasting notes, take a photo and rate your brew. Tea even keeps track of your brewing time, tea amount, and temperature, so that you can hone in on the perfect brew for each of your teas.
• Default Brew Suggestions: Not all teas are meant for use with boiling water. Tea comes pre-loaded with brew suggestions (temperature, time, leaf amount) for over 200 tea names and 12 tea types, all prepared by tea expert Thomas Smith.
• Automatic Unit Conversion: Tea's Set Brew screen automatically converts units for you. If your tea's temperature instructions come in degrees Celsius, for example, Tea automatically converts it to Fahrenheit if that is your preferred unit.
• Inventory Tracker: When you input a new tea, Tea automatically calculates how many brews you can make with that tea. Each time you use Tea's timer, Tea recalculates how many brews you have remaining. Be in full command of your tea inventory.
• Multiple Infusion Support: Tea intelligently counts your tea infusions and preloads your notes with infusion number.
• Shake to Shuffle: Can't decide on which tea to have? Simply give your iOS device a shake, and Tea will select one at random for you!
What's New in Version 2.02
• Fixed a bug in which tea volume would appear as teabags.
Your reviews on the App Store are always appreciated and we take them very seriously. For updates, you can always follow us @teaapp or on facebook.com/teaapp!
We couldn't be more excited to introduce Tea 2.0, a FREE major update that contains some awesome new features.
• Completely refreshed design.
• Tea Encyclopedia: Carefully researched preparation tips, origin maps, signs of quality, processing methods, tasting tags, and harvest seasons for all major teas. Tea can even look up teas by nicknames, recognizing over 500 queries.
• Teas to Try: Encyclopedia integrates with Reminders and can create a list of Teas to Try based on the teas you find interesting.
• Next Time: Specify how you want to prepare your tea next time you brew it, and Tea will remember for you. No more tediously looking up your past notes when you want to improve your brew.
• Blends: Create blends of your teas.
• Teapot Picker: Register your teapot collection with Tea and use them as water volume presets.
• Photos: Take pictures of your brews and save them in your notes. Share these photos on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Weibo.
If you like the update, please leave us a review. We read it carefully and are always taking your feedback into account. We're also listening on Twitter (@teaapp) and Facebook (facebook.com/teaapp).
Changed my mind a bit
This app is a mixed bag, and it has been since I've started using it. Some minor updates would change this rating to a five.
What I like:
- Inventory control is not mandatory (!!!)
- Photo integration
- quick and reactive interface (although, see below for qualification)
- great for tea enthusiasts who want to journal their tea enjoyment
What I don't like:
- The instagram button doesn't actually do anything
- Data on the general type of tea can be input (black, green, etc) but doesn't show up on the entry once it is input
- No apparent way to sort your teas in the general tea list
- No link to email/contact the developer from within the app
- No sharing to tumblr (!!!)
- some misleading icons (for instance in the "history" there is a down facing carrot which should imply a drop down menu, but instead is the means by which an entry is deleted
- UI when looking at list of teas is unclear, unlabled
- Use of outdated pop-up confirmation dialogue.
- the brew entries count for each specific tea counts every entry for every tea
If you need an app to journal your tea, this is the app for you, but it has some room to improve in my opinion. Some work needs to be done under the hood.
- export and/or back up of the data, say with Dropbox integration would be nice, worth a 99 cent in-app purchase.
I use this app at least once a day, usually more. It has all the features that a serious tea drinker needs, and the new features in version two make the app even more helpful than before. Now it not only remembers and times how you want to steep each infusion but it can be set to implement updated parameters for the next session. The tea ware inventory, with photos, is genius. I have too many pots to remember the volume of tea each holds,
I suspect that the app has saved me the purchase price many times over, as well as making tea brewing more relaxing and pleasurable. Sometimes features are hard to find, like adjusting the quantity of tea when you change the size of the pot, but they're there and worth looking for.
Pretty terrific little app with lots of possibilities ahead
I've been through more tea apps than one can shake a stick (or tea pick) at. This one's the best of the lot...which is why so many users expect even more from it.
Mine has 20+ teas entered, with fairly detailed notes. The ability to add my specific teapots is a big bonus--no need to memorize how many cc's each holds.
A tip I missed:
After selecting one of you user-entered pots, adjust the dry tea amount accordingly in the Brew screen, then tap the lock icon in the middle of the needle graphic. Doing so allows the app to adjust the amount of tea up/down according to which teapot you select for each session. Genius idea (that was so subtle I completely missed it).
A way to sync the app with other devices -and- online. Would be soooo much easier to add a list of new teas if we could do so using a full sized keyboard via a browser-based site. To then sync that info to other devices would be even better...no need to henpeck through teeny tiny "keys" on the phone then repeat the process on the iPad.
To Sam and company--thank you, thank you, thank you for all the blood, sweat, tears, and tea that went into this. Definitely the best of what's out there.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Food & Drink
- Updated: Jun 21, 2013
- Version: 2.02
- Size: 36.1 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Samuel Iglesias
- © Sam Iglesias
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.