Web Reader - Text to Speech
By Chris Chauvin
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
STOP! If you are looking for Web Reader for the iPad, search for Web Reader HD. It's sold as a separate app.
Web Reader 2.5 for iPhone uses text to speech technology along with web page content recognition to read web pages to you. You can configure web pages to be read as soon as they are loaded, read pages manually after they are loaded, or use Cut, Copy, & Paste to read only sections of text.
Please make sure you are running iPhone OS 4.3 or greater to prevent problems.
See the youtube demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk0d1npGoq4
The high quality male and female voices work as you're own personal news, book, and content reader. You can adjust the volume and the speed at which web content is read.
Use local sync applications like DropBox to download and read text files, HTML pages, MS Word documents, and PDF files.
Note, there is no integration with eBook apps like Kindle. eBooks can be read only if the eBook is available on a Web page such as Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page).
- Fast - Web Reader starts reading quickly and can read long and large web page content without breaks.
- Reads PDF - Web Reader now reads PDF documents. NOTE: Not all PDFs can be read!
- Read Locally Synced Files - When using apps that sync files locally to your device, like DropBox, you can now open those files in Web Reader and have them read to you. File formats supported are: HTML, Text, RTF, Microsoft Word.
- Remote Control Support - Using the devices headset or BlueTooth device, Web Reader can now be paused from those device remote controls. On BlueTooth devices supporting skip forward and skip back, Web Reader will skip forward and back by paragraphs when using those controls.
- Continues Reading When Backgrounded - With iOS 4 and beyond, if your device supports applications running in the background, Web Reader will continue to read while you use other apps.
- Image Block - Load pages faster by turning on image blocking.
- Two High Quality Voices - Two high quality voices - male or female U.S. English - speak perfect English to you.
- Voice Volume - Control the volume of the generated voices from the text to speech engine as well as control the overall volume with the device volume controls.
- Speaking Speed - Control how fast or slow web pages are read to you.
- Start Here - Tap the section of the article or book you want to start reading. Note: when reading PDF files, this is not currently available. When reading PDFs, you are prompted for a page number to start reading.
- Highlight While Reading - Highlight the paragraphs and auto scroll the web page to show you what's being read.
- Auto-Speak - Configure Web Reader to automatically start reading web page content once a page loads. Going back will not re-read the previous page that was already read.
- Launch from Safari - By cutting and pasting a bookmarklet from Web Reader's info page, you can launch Web Reader and have it read the page you are on in Safari.
- Landscape - Works in landscape mode
- Reads While Locked - Web Reader will continue to speak even when the device is locked.
- Stop and Restart - Stop and Restart your last selection by pressing the play button
Devices: iPhone and iPod Touch Second Generation
OS: 4.3 or greater
Languages: English Only
What's New in Version 2.6.0
Fixed an issue where copying text was not reading.
Very useful, but rough in places
+ Very nice voice
+ Can start reading in the middle of a web page
+ You can get to the page and have it start reading by accessing a bookmark (you create) in Safari. Read the info on how to.
- Doesn't always deal with re-orenting the screen correctly (displays landscape height in portrait mode)
- is too aggressive about starting to speak.... speaks when unplugging iPhone from car radio, speaks if you have it open, then pause and turn off, then on the iPhone, etc.
- some words it has trouble with, and mixed english / spanish docs it does not handle the spanish well.
- highlighting the currently being spoken text sometimes is not exactly right
- had trouble speaking 1 frame of a web site
My use: iPhone 4S, iOS v5 and v6. v6 was better, web pages only (I didn't try dropbox, etc.)
Well worth it for my use, though still rough around the edges,
Reads the web 4me in car!
Reads long pages 4me during my commute that I can't find time to read otherwise! A joy to listen to her...can't believe she's not real!
Happy iPhone5 user!
I can store ebooks in Dropbox and listen to them easily with web reader.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jan 08, 2013
- Version: 2.6.0
- Size: 115 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Chris Chauvin
- © 2009 Chris Chauvin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.