“Best app for learning phonics ... Everything is taught exactly as it would be in school, with the same methods as outlined in the national curriculum” iPad for Kids 2013
PocketPhonics teaches kids letter sounds, first words and handwriting. It is used in over 300 UK primary schools, and tens of thousands of homes. It follows the national curriculum, and independent research (see appsinmypocket.com/research) found children learnt nine times faster using PocketPhonics compared to a classroom lesson.
“PocketPhonics teaches the basics of reading and writing to young kids. Most surprising? It seems to work.” 148apps.com
"One of my children’s favorite early reading apps" New York Times
“This app feels much like a private tutoring session for early readers with emphasis on letter sounds and writing.” everythingmom.com
-“If you are working on phonics for your kids, this is the best application to have.” Technology in Education
-“This app feels much like a private tutoring session for early readers with emphasis on letter sounds and writing.” everythingmom.com
-“PocketPhonics is seriously educational and I think it’s a terrific tool for helping early readers. You can tell that a ton of thought and research was put into it and best of all, they talked and listened to teachers. It shows.” iPhoneMom.com
-“When it comes to learning apps for young learners and early readers, there is no better choice than abc PocketPhonics." ipad-applications.neiia.com
We’ve also had coverage in the Daily Telegraph and Guardian.
PocketPhonics is split in to 12 groups of letter sounds, each group is followed by a set of storybooks for those letter sounds. Kids read storybooks on the right level for them.
The phonics levels are included in the price of this "basic edition", but the storybooks cost extra. PocketPhonics Stories (full edition) includes the stories in the price.
In the first group of letter sounds, there are six sounds to master before the child will be able to read their first storybook. Most children aged 4+ start to read their first storybook within 10 weeks if they use the app for 15 mins everyday.
Parents and teachers can easily monitor children’s progress online. Teachers and parents are emailed a certificate when a child completes a task.
Children can tap an unfamiliar word in a story, and the app will sound out the letters to help the child understand what the word says. They can tap again to hear the word and see a picture that illustrates its meaning.
As the child reads a story, the app tests whether they can read some of the key words. At the end of the story, it quizzes the child on all new words in that story.
Children master the following skills:
* writing letters (more UK handwriting style options than any other app)
* recognising 72 letter sounds (e.g. ‘ch’ are the letters that make the initial sound in ‘chat’)
* blending letter sounds together to make words (e.g ‘ch-a-t’)
* hearing a word and selecting its written form (e.g. the app says, “chat”, the child has to select ‘chat’ from a group of words)
How it works
* The phonics levels are included in the price.
* The books are extra, but can be tried for free. £1.49 monthly and £12.99 annual subscription unlock access to all books
* The subscription gives you access to more books as they are added
* Once subscribed, your subscription auto-renews each month or annually. However, you can easily turn auto renew off via the Settings app
* Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase
* Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
* Cannot cancel current subscription during its subscription period
Fixed bug that occasionally impacted signing up for an account with us.
Made it harder for kids to crack the adult test.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent and easy to use
I highly recommend this app. My child enjoys using it and the app is very easy to use and engaging. I particularly like that you can choose an English voice or American voice for the pronunciation. You are able to personalise the style of the text and choose between upper and lowercase letters. Right or left hand for writing. My child finds it motivating when they receive a certificate or feedback from the program. When I had any difficulties/problem or didn’t understand something, the customer support was excellent. The developer was quick to respond. I purchased Pocket Phonics, PocketPhonic Stories and Dot to Dot letters and numbers. These compliment each other beautifully and are very educational and fun.
Very pleased with this app. My twins like to draw around the letters and repeat the sounds. I have noticed a difference in their understanding in just a few days. It's fun and can be tailored to suit your children's level. When I contacted support for advice they give a speedy reply and answered all of my questions. I wouldn't normally spend money on apps but I upgraded from the lite straight away as it's worth it. It is ideal for my preschool children but with lots of potential to get much from it over the coming years.
This is a properly brilliant app, so after trialling the light version I bought the full version. My 4 year old isn't very interested in reading or writing at school (he likes climbing!) so I got him this to see if it could help. It's kick-started his interest in both and best of all he really enjoys it. It encourages children to sound out the letters, write them and then use them in context - and because it's English vs American it's also helping with speech. Can't recommend it highly enough. Thank you.
- Apps in My Pocket Ltd
- 754.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Apps in My Pocket Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly subscription for books £1.49
- Lifetime subscription - books £16.99
- Annual subscription for books £12.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.