Above & Beyond: George Steinmetz
By Joe Zeff Design
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
** UPDATED TO INCLUDE ANOTHER FIVE NEW IMAGES, BRINGING THE TOTAL TO 50. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE ABOVE & BEYOND SERIES! **
This groundbreaking app represents a new way to enjoy photography. More than a gallery of pictures, it is an inspirational story for photographers and non-photographers alike about what's possible when people push themselves to go above and beyond.
George Steinmetz is a National Geographic photographer whose imagery reveals a world that otherwise would never be seen. For the past 25 years he has brought to his work the eye of a master photographer, the mind of a Stanford-educated geophysics major, and the determination of an adventurer willing to risk his life in a motorized paraglider in search of natural beauty invisible from the ground. With a better understanding of George's persona and processes, one can look beyond the intricate patterns and surreal landscapes in his photography to truly appreciate what makes these images — and our world — unique.
Interact with photography like never before:
• Hear directly from George how each photograph came to be, as well as the police chases, windstorms, equipment malfunctions and rocky landings that nearly got in the way.
• Explore satellite imagery and maps of each location to discover exotic places throughout the world where George has travelled for magazine assignments.
• Learn about George's motorized paraglider and what makes it fly, through interactive graphics and an exclusive video that puts you in the harness.
• Analyze the details of each picture — George's camera settings, caption information, and high-resolution enlargements that provide an up-close look.
• Share your favorite photographs through e-mail at the tap of a button. (Internet connection required.)
Recommended for all ages.
"Above & Beyond: George Steinmetz" is the first of a series of apps that showcase incredible imagery and the equally incredible men and women who create them. It is published by Joe Zeff Design, designer and developer of "The Final Hours of Portal 2" and "Splashlight Studio Tour" and designer of numerous apps including "Solar System for iPad," an iTunes App of the Week selection. For more information about Joe Zeff Design, visit www.joezeffdesign.com and www.joezeffdesign.com/blog
What's New in Version 4.0
BONUS! We've added five more stunning pictures to this already amazing collection of words and images, bringing the total to 50. (The app originally shipped with 40 — we've added 10 more as part of our efforts to make the Above & Beyond series even better.)
A truly wonderful presentation which has inspired everyone I have shown this to, young and old alike. It would be great to have more travel apps of this quality!
A beautiful way to see amazing work. Thanks for sharing.
In need of an update
I’ve admired George Steinmetz’s work for many years hence I was excited to find this app.The concept of the app is good and the images could be stunning. However the app is badly in need of an update to support the high resolution of retina screen iPads: the images look poor on any iPad with a retina screen.
If the original authors can’t be bothered to release an update after 4 years(!) the app should be pulled from the app store since it doesn’t meet expectations.
- Category: Books
- Updated: 18 August 2011
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 458 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Joe Zeff Design
- © App, illustrations and video compilation Copyright 2011 Joe Zeff Design, Inc. Photography and provided video footage Copyright 2011 George Steinmetz
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.