The OFFICIAL ABRSM Aural Trainer contains interactive challenges to help develop your music aural skills (listening skills). Anyone can use it, but it is designed around ABRSM’s aural tests for Grades 1 to 5. The app can be used in any order, however often you like, on your own or with your teacher.
This app contains a limited amount of audio content for Grades 1 and 4. You may upgrade to all content for Grades 1 to 5 in-app. There is also a fully interactive interval trainer tool and guide to the aural tests in ABRSM graded music exams.
Use ABRSM Aural Trainer to:
• Improve your sense of pulse and metre (feeling the beat).
• Exercise your musical memory (remember how music sounds and be able to repeat it or spot differences and mistakes).
• Develop your confidence and accuracy at sight-singing (reading and singing the music you see).
• Learn to describe dynamics, articulation, tempo and tonality.
• Practise identifying the features in music that make-up its style and character.
• Develop the skills to know when a piece of music was written.
The app covers the following ABRSM aural test content:
• Pulse and Metre
• Melodic Repetition
• Musical Features
• Rhythmic Repetition
Tackle each element in stages using the preparation exercises.
All exercises are fully interactive. Each one gives you the opportunity to repeat the question, or to compare your response to the correct answer and hear the music again. The app also features supporting tools including an interval trainer, progress tracker and guides to the aural tests in ABRSM graded music exams.
Many exercises are automatically marked by the application. Self-review and critical listening are also key to successful development of the musical ear, which is why the app provides tools for you to review and evaluate your performance against sample responses in all cases. Your progress is logged whenever you use the app, so you can always see at a glance the areas you might want to revisit.
- bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Will not track my progress at all
Does not track my progress at all. Terrible
No grade 2, 3 or 5
Only grade 1 and 4 seem to work, and even then they have limited examples for each exercise (I.e 1 or 2 examples)
Developer Response ,
Hi grade 5 in 3 weeks, thank you for your comment. The Lite version of the app contains a limited amount of content for Grades 1 and 4. You may upgrade to all content for Grades 1-5 in-app. We hope this information is helpful.
There is a MAJOR bug
The app is excellent if you want grade 4 or 1 but if you need grade 2, 3 or 5 then it’s useless. This is a problem for me because I need the grade 3 AND 4 for my exams this Christmas.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thank you for your comment. Please note that the Lite version of the app contains a limited amount of content for Grades 1 and 4 only; this is not a bug. You may upgrade to all content for Grades 1-5 in-app. We hope this information is helpful.
- The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
- 329.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Grades 1-5 £7.99
- Grades 1-3 £4.99
- Grades 4-5 £4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.