The OFFICIAL ABRSM Scales Trainer is a fun and rewarding way to learn scales and arpeggios for Piano and Violin. It is particularly valuable for students preparing for ABRSM exams at grades 1-5, and anyone wishing to focus on their piano or violin technique. It’s been uniquely developed to combat the boredom and repetitiveness students often associate with routine scales practice.
There are five main features to help you build familiarity and confidence:
• Practice Area – for every scale and arpeggio you can view the notation or listen to example recordings played at exam tempo (or a different speed of your choosing)
• Play and Compare – record and review your own playing against example performances and monitor your progress
• Play with Band – when you need to liven up your practice session and put your scales to good use, this is a great way to make scales more musical and fun
• Practice History – see your past activity and progress on each scale and arpeggio
• Quiz – challenge yourself with a string of requirements for the grade exam
Scales Trainer can help you:
• Build familiarity with ABRSM requirements and prepare effectively for exams
• Make practice more engaging with short, playful exercises
• Develop a musical ear and improve technique
• Appreciate the importance of scales in relation to music making
This versatile tool features a fantastic mix of interactive exercises and useful information to help you prepare for ABRSM exams. It’s a flexible tool which can be used in a variety of situations including individual practice sessions and lessons.
The app covers all scale and arpeggio requirements for ABRSM Grades 1 to 5 for Piano and Violin.
- Fixed audio playback bug in iOS 11
Ratings and Reviews
Very expensive and VERY disappointing
Having already paid for the ABRSM books and having seen some promise in some of the other official apps, I really hoped that this would bring something new and inventive to scales. It doesn't.
It's a very clunky interface and all it does act as a little exam content guide. It's all been done much better elsewhere. The only 'fun' is a quiz which is just a practice diary and the ability to 'play along' which is quite frankly rubbish.
I paid a huge amount for this application and it is a massive disappointment. I'm only using it because it was so expensive. I'm going to see if I can get a refund.
They may improve it in the future but it will require the app to be completely rethought and rebuilt. Don't buy this.
Good start and very useful
Heard about this a couple of weeks ago and found it very helpful with my practice sessions.
I'd like to see some selection options such as only major scales or chromatic scales. Would also be useful to limit the number of items in a quiz and for the ability to identify those pieces which I need to concentrate on.
- The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
- 556.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016 The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.