By The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Designed for musicians, Speedshifter is a practice tool that enables you to adjust the speed of any audio track without altering the pitch. It is perfect for musical, slow practice to a recorded accompaniment. Developed by ABRSM (the exam board of the Royal Schools of Music), it can be used with any compatible track in your music library* to help you learn new pieces.
Speedshifter can also be used to:
- listen closely to tricky pieces you’re finding particularly hard to learn by slowing them down
- focus on specific sections using the loop function
- transpose a track up or down in semitones to fit with a preferred key or range
- set a reference tempo (BPM) by tapping in time with a track
- store tapped BPM and loop points automatically (once you’ve registered)
- sync BPM and loop settings seamlessly across devices once you’ve downloaded the free desktop version (www.abrsm.org/speedshifter)
- sound a tuning note – simply shake for an A!
*Speedshifter supports playback of MP3, M4A, AIFF and WAV files stored on your device. It cannot play files stored online in iTunes Match.
What's New in Version 2.2
- New icon and logos
Great App but could me improved
I use this app for my piano practice a lot and love what it does. It allows me to practice passages super slowly and get the details exactly right before gradually speeding the whole thing up.
Unfortunately the app can be very slow. I tap 'select song' and nothing happens for ages to the point where sometimes I have given up and came back to the app at a later time.
Also I wish the scrubbing was much more accurate so you can exactly select where to start a passage rather than having to keep trying to get the starting point right. Especially important if you play the song very slowly at 40bpm.
I would definitely give 5 stars if the above 2 points were improved.
So nearly good
This app would be so good for the job, very helpful for transcriptions, a godsend... if... the loop clips were not so tiny...
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you can't seem to move the loop clips, and instead of grabbing the loop clips, you keep changing the position of the song... which can be very frustrating...
But if they sort this out, I'd be very happy to give a Stella review!
Good idea, but slow and doesn't support Apple Music.
Essentially, this app does not seem to support songs downloaded through apples music subscription service, Apple Music. All of the songs I purchased before Apple Music was released work perfectly, though the app is still quite slow. Neither of these are very good considering the app costs £4. Please fix!!
- Category: Music
- Updated: 25 July 2016
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 7.4 MB
- Languages: English, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Developer: The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
- © 2013 The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.