Welcome to Amphetamine 4, the most awesome keep-awake utility ever created. Amphetamine can keep your Mac, and optionally its display, awake through a super simple on/off switch, or automatically through easy-to-configure Triggers. Amphetamine is extremely powerful and includes advanced features for those who need them, yet remains super intuitive and simple to use for those who don't need all the bells and whistles.
== Click to Keep Your Mac Awake ==
Quickly start a keep-awake session from Amphetamine's menu to keep your Mac awake.
• Indefinitely, for a specified amount of time, or until a specified time
• While a file is downloading
• While a specific app is running
== Advanced Automation ==
Create a Trigger to automatically keep your Mac awake.
• While an external display is connected
• While a USB or Bluetooth device is connected
• While a specific app is running
• While a specific app is running and frontmost
• While your Mac's battery is charging and/or when the battery is above a threshold
• While your Mac's AC power adapter is connected
• While your Mac has a specific IP address
• While your Mac is on a specific WiFi network
• While headphones or another audio output is in use
• While a specific drive or volume is mounted
== What's the Catch? ==
No catch. Amphetamine is 100% free. It's a gift from me, to you. Enjoy!
• No advertisements
• No in-app purchases
• Nothing to unlock/no "pro" version
• No annoying prompts asking you to review Amphetamine
• No links for other paid apps
• No tracking
• No data-harvesting
== What Else Does Amphetamine Do? ==
Amphetamine is the most powerful and customizable keep-awake utility ever created for macOS. Some other notable features are:
• Keep your drive awake with Drive Alive
• AppleScript support
• Use your own menu bar icons
• Allow your display to sleep while keeping your Mac awake
• Allow screen saver to run after a customizable period of inactivity
• Optional session time remaining display in the menu (with 12/24 hour support)
• Auto-end session if your Mac's battery is low
• Hot key support for starting/ending sessions
• and more!
== System Requirements + Other Details ==
Amphetamine requires macOS 10.10 Yosemite or higher
Amphetamine supports Retina displays and macOS dark mode.
Amphetamine⁴ has been completely rebuilt from the ground up to improve performance, reliability, and add awesome new features! Enjoy!
New in Amphetamine 4.0.4:
+ Added option within Power Trigger criterion to require AC power adapter to activate Trigger
+ Added option to show seconds in menu for session time remaining
+ Fix for Trigger Power criterion where logical operator 'or' was not considered correctly regarding AC adapter status
+ Fix for Trigger App criterion that prevented helper apps and processes from appearing in the list of running apps
+ Fix for Other Time/Until window placement when the macOS menu bar is hidden
+ Fix for truncated session time remaining text in menu bar for macOS 10.10 & 10.11
+ AppleScript command 'display sleep allowed' now returns button state of Allow Display Sleep preference if there is no active session
+ Further optimization to reduce CPU usage and energy impact
If you find Amphetamine useful, please consider leaving an App Store review. If you encounter an issue, please contact support through the app.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome little app
Huge thanks to the developer for this app. It’s completely free, no adds or nags, and works in a very smooth and seamless way. Absolutely no stability issues or crashes etc.
I use it when I am uploading vast amounts of files via FTP overnight, or indexing big websites locally which can take hours. Despite playing around with system settings, my mac seems determined to sleep or lock itself after a while, hence my need for something like this. It’s an absolute lifesaver for me, and a key part of my workflow now.
Once again, many thanks for the developer for creating and supporting this awesome app.
Perfect with one little suggestion
First of all, thank you for this app! So great!
Quite often I need to start a long task on the computer at night (file conversions etc.)
Usually I know the estimated time for these tasks, they are very accurate, let’s say 3hours.
With this app I can start the task withour worrying that computer will sleep, since I can override the sleep for let’s say 3hour and 15min.
This app is 99.9% perfection. However, it would be 100% complete if the user could choose (optional) to put the computer to sleep / shut down STRAIGHT AFTER the custom period has ended. I know I can do that separatly in Mac’s built in “schedule”, but A) that is a separate app B) I need to remember to reset it C) not everyone is aware of it D) this app would be totally complete with that, and makes a lot of sense to be part of this app (but it should to be optional)
Cool little app
Amphetamine is excellent: it’s free, it takes up almost no memory, and it offers huge levels of customisation. Uses include things like keeping your Mac from going to sleep while your Sonos controller is running, preventing the wifi on High Sierra from dropping out (coz it does that constantly!) while you’re dowloading massive video files, or removing the need to keep putting your password into your Mac during meetings. Great job by the developer!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.