By William Gustafson
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Amphetamine is a little app that lives in your menu bar. With Amphetamine, you can effortlessly override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake.
- Keep your Mac (and optionally its display and drives) awake
- Choose from numerous activation time presets, or enter your own
- Keep your Mac awake while specific apps are running
- Schedule activation/deactivation for specific times of the day
- Activate/deactivate with a single click in the menu bar
- Activate automatically at launch login
- Activate when connected to specific WiFi networks
- Keep drives (HDDs/SSDs) connected to your Mac awake
- Use global hotkeys for activation/deactivation
- Receive alerts while Amphetamine is running or when it activates/deactivates
- Auto-deactivate when your Mac's battery drops below a set threshold
- Auto-activate when you connect your Mac's power adapter
- Allow/prevent screen saver
- Use your own status icons
- Custom notification sounds
- AppleScript support
Amphetamine supports Retina displays and OS X's dark mode.
Amphetamine is 100% free (no ads, no in-app purchases).
After you launch Amphetamine, you must activate it by clicking on its menu icon. If you do not activate Amphetamine, your Mac will sleep normally, per your energy saver settings.
Please note that keeping your Mac laptop awake while the lid is closed is not possible for an app from the Mac App Store.
Amphetamine requires OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
What's New in Version 3.0.2
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements
- Option to send a notification on manual start/stop of session in Preferences
- Resolves an issue where some Preferences would not save
- Improves status icon quality on non-Retina displays in systems prior to Yosemite
- Other small bug fixes and improvements
- Set up an infinite number of Triggers, each with its own set of conditions
- Expanded schedule options for Triggers
- Trigger sessions and "single-use" sessions now operate independently
- New icons and sounds
- Hide/show icon in Dock option in Preferences
- Complete rewrite of application
- A bunch of little things you probably won't notice
Note: Amphetamine³ drops support for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion (sorry!) and now requires 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
Superior alternative to Caffeine
I’ve been using Caffeine for a couple of years as utility of choice for preventing my Mac from going to sleep, and whilst it still works fairly well it feels a little dated and hasnt been updated in a very long time. Amphetamine isn’t just a good alternative, it is far superior. The ability to tell it to not allow the machine to go to sleep whilst a specific App is running is particularly useful.
just get it
Easy and intuitive to use. LOVE the triggers to keep my mac awake when using particular apps… no having to remember to change the power setting manually. Many settings but not over-complicated. Just get it…..
Perfect with one little suggestion
First of all, thank you for this app! So great!
Quite often I need to start a long task on the computer at night (file conversions etc.)
Usually I know the estimated time for these tasks, they are very accurate, let’s say 3hours.
With this app I can start the task withour worrying that computer will sleep, since I can override the sleep for let’s say 3hour and 15min.
This app is 99.9% perfection. However, it would be 100% complete if the user could choose (optional) to put the computer to sleep / shut down STRAIGHT AFTER the custom period has ended. I know I can do that separatly in Mac’s built in “schedule”, but A) that is a separate app B) I need to remember to reset it C) not everyone is aware of it D) this app would be totally complete with that, and makes a lot of sense to be part of this app (but it should to be optional)
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: 19 September 2016
- Version: 3.0.2
- Size: 3.4 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: William Gustafson
- © 2016 William C. Gustafson
Compatibility: OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor