Discover where you came from through photos, stories, historical documents, and so much more. With the Ancestry app you can explore your family stories anytime, anywhere.
• Discover stories, photos, and records about your ancestors with Ancestry Hints™
• Explore billions of historical photos and records
• Preserve and share your history with a family tree
• Share and collaborate with friends and family
• Get notified of new hints and comments
Apple Watch Features:
• Receive new hint notifications with photo previews.
• Save and ignore photo hints right from your Apple Watch.
• Keep up with comments and add your own with voice dictation.
• Get on-this-day alerts for events from your family history.
iPhone and iPad Features:
• Ancestry Hints™ automatically find records, photos, and stories about your family
• In just a few taps create, edit, and see your family tree
• Access more than 14 billion historical records, photos, and more
• Sync automatically with your Ancestry.com account
• Easily upload photos and add facts or stories to your family tree
• Add family members to your tree from Facebook
• Learn about historical events that affected your ancestors
Start your journey by choosing a subscription:
UK Essentials Membership: £10.99 per month
UK Premium Membership: £12.99 per month
UK Worldwide Membership: £18.99 per month
Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew function is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the subscription period.
View our Terms and Conditions at http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/legal/Mobile-termsandconditions
Ratings and Reviews
Gives you access to your tree, but rather clunky
Launch the app for the first time, but fail to spot the tiny sign in link at the bottom, and your guided through, and end up creating a new account, that your then forced to create a stub Tree for, via a modal dialog before you can log out. If you attempt to multi task, say to Google for a way not to log out, and not create a tree, and you can’t get back in via the dock icon, while the Modal tree creation dialog box is displayed, nor does uninstalling, and reinstalling the app sign you out of the unwanted account, so a stub tree, on a stub account has to be created, before you can log out, and back in on an existing I’d. Similarly once you log in to an existing account and start to browse an existing tree, the hints, and editing are performed via modal dialog boxes, that similarly while displayed prevent the app from multi tasking, so no checking something in Safari, or Mail, as the Apps icon is greyed out on the dock. Other than that it gives you access to your data.
Oh dear! What have you done with the App?
I have had problems logging in and received a number of other error messages when navigating around the app. Also the gaudy colours are horrid, the photos are cropped, the hints don't work and the sources have disappeared from the Gallery. It seems you now have to click on "Find Sources" which just takes you back to the Ancestry website BUT in a new Tab. Consequently, if trying to look at a number of sources from the app, you end up with a succession of open Ancestry tabs online. Not very user friendly and a step back rather than a step forward. Finally, I rather gathered from the update info that there was now a Smart Story like feature although unless I am missing something this doesn't seem to be present.
So many features
I have returned to Ancestry after a break of a few years and am delighted with the features and appearance of the family tree. The list of search features are enormous. The software is easy to use and the hints to connect me to threads of my family keep on coming. I have been in touch with other Ancestry users who have help me find new branches on my family tree. Great way to spend (especially) a rainy day searching through information. Just be careful to check and check again before accepting new family members onto your tree. There is hardly any name that is unique in the historical records and red herrings are plentiful.
- Ancestry.com Operations Inc.
- 189.5 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Ancestry
- In-App Purchases
- UK Premium £12.99
- UK Premium £12.99
- Just this record £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.