By Paul Hudson
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
From the makers of "SPQR" - the App Store's most advanced app for Latin students and teachers - comes an unmissable addition to every Greek scholar's iPhone and iPad! This app combines a searchable copy of the LSJ with a huge library of works in Greek and English to make the ultimate app for Greek students and teachers everywhere.
*** TEACHERS: You can save 50% off the price of Ancient Greek by using Apple's App Store Volume Purchase Program for education - visit http://www.romansgohome.com/education for more information ***
Here are just some of the features:
- Full, fast and searchable copy of the Liddell, Scott & Jones Greek-English lexicon - it searches all 116,000 definitions as you type, showing either short definitions or full definitions along with citations.
- Search in Beta Code, natural language or using the Greek keyboard - or enable reverse search to turn the LSJ into an elementary English-to-Greek lexicon, backed up by all the copious referencing and detailed usages that the LSJ offers.
- Full copies of classic texts in their original Greek, grouped either by author or genre, including:
- The Iliad and the Odyssey (English copies included!)
- Economics, Metaphysics, Politics, and Rhetoric by Aristotle (English copies included!)
- Laws and The Republic by Plato (English copies included!)
- The Histories by Herodotus (English copy included!)
- Agamemnon, Prometheus Bound, Seven Against Thebes, The Eumenides, The Libation Bearers, The Persians and The Suppliants by Aeschylus (English copies included!)
- Ajax, Antigone, Electra, Oedipus at Colonus, Oedipus the King, Philoctetes and The Trachiniae by Sophocles
- Anabasis, Cyropaedia, Hellenica and Memorabilia by Xenophon
- Plus Aristophanes, Euclid, Euripides, Hesiod and more!
* INSTANT TRANSLATION *
- Many works were broken up by their authors into small sections, and we've used that to present to you for the first time ever section-by-section Greek to English translations. That means you can be reading Herodotus's original Greek descriptions of the Persian empire, then tap a button and jump to an English translation exactly where you left off.
- All those texts above marked as having an English translation make use of this instant translation feature - it's really cool to use, and you can flip back and forwards as often as you want, allowing you to check your translation as you read.
- Finally you can dive into Greek texts without fear, and without splashing out on expensive Loeb Classics books.
- Plus: if you see a Greek word you're not sure about, tap on it to perform a quick look up in the dictionary.
- Many works include a "word cloud" that show you all the top words in that book according to their frequency - it's a beautiful way to explore a book's themes at a glance.
- Ancient Greek also includes dozens of timeless quotes from the classical thinkers - just tap to see more!
This is the very first version of this app, and we hope to issue updates in the future that add more texts and more features - if you have any feedback, get in touch at email@example.com!
If you enjoy this app, you'd almost certainly be interested in our range of apps for Latin students - "SPQR Latin Dictionary and Reader", "Latin", "Latin Word Search" and more are available on the App Store today!
What's New in Version 1.6
Adds support for iOS 7 and iPhone 5, plus adds flashcards functionality.
Do not buy this app
I'm currently studying Ancient Greek at university so thought it would be useful to have a quick and easy Ancient Greek dictionary, opposed to having to scan through a paper one, but this app is unable to identify even basic greek words such as ανδρός or άλλους. Absolutely useless. DO NOT BUY
- Category: Education
- Updated: 01 November 2013
- Version: 1.6
- Size: 85.5 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Paul Hudson
- © 2012 Paul Hudson
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5.