This stunningly beautiful app is like having a virtual art set right inside your iPad. Paint and draw via the photo realistic interface with tools that look and feel incredibly like the real thing.
Art Set gives an alternative to complex and mechanical like paint apps for all to enjoy - artist or not! But simplicity comes without sacrificing quality, from pens to pencils, paints to pastels, each has been carefully crafted to produce natural results in real time.
The incredibly realistic 3D textured oil paint gives amazing thick gloopy strokes or thin delicate detail via a range of virtual brushes of various size and shape. Adjust paint loading and thinners to change texture and opacity.
Sparkle and glow with special metallic and fluorescent colours. Build up subtle tones and textures with chalks, charcoal, oil pastels, wax crayons, graphite pencils, coloured pencils and marker pens. Add fine detail via multitouch pinch and zoom. Choose from different paper colours and textures, or import your own photos.
The blending tools give you many ways to mix and smudge colour around on the canvas with varying effects. Create anything from smooth gentle gradients to roughly textured scratches and splatters.
New features only in the Pro version :
- incredibly realistic new paint engine
- colour blends as you paint
- paint takes on texture of the canvas or paper
- simulation keeps track of wet paint on the canvas
- adjustable paint load on your brush
- exhaustible paint, runs out whilst painting
- add thinners to control paint opacity
- set of virtual paint brushes of various shapes and sizes
- create custom colours by mixing, ensuring harmonious palettes
- colour picker to sample direct from the canvas
- user editable palette to store and arrange your custom colours
- dry brush blending
- auto / manual brush cleaning and loading, allows dirty brush effects
- more papers and canvases from old cardboard, raw canvas, graph, squared and isometric paper
- charcoal stick
- fine artists chalk
- paint pens for opaque colour
- 3 grades of graphite pencil 3B,HB,3H
- oil pastels that blend on canvas
- Apple Pencil pressure and tilt control
Features from Art Set
- thick 3D textured oil paint
- five blending tools
- metallic colours sparkle and shine
- fluorescent colours that glow and dazzle
- zoom and pan for fine detail
- High resolution canvas on retina screens at near 4 Mega pixels (1728 x 2304)
- import your own photos and images
- export to your photo album, email or social networks
- virtual pressure sensitivity
- unlimited undo
- real time high performance
Art Set - Pro Edition is a wonderfully creative addition to any iPad!
Ratings and Reviews
I can't rate this app highly enough. I've tried Brushes and Art Rage, and this is simpler, with an infinitely more attractive and realistic interface. There are no layers (as some reviewers have mentioned), but I find I don't need them. I can always save earlier versions of my work and return to that stage should something go wrong later on. I've had great results importing my own photographs and working directly on top of them: the colours on the photo morph into blendable pigment. But the interface is so mouthwatering that just improvising with this app is great fun. I've had occasional crashes, nothing problematic, and as with a Word document, you should keep saving your work at regular intervals. A brush or stylus is a great help, but not totally necessary. Worth every penny!
Art Set Pro needs a few ‘tweaks’.
I love the fact that I can create my own toolbars, but maybe the ability to hide them temporarily when actually working would be a good idea. Also, a full screen view would also work. Some art apps allow the toolbars to fade out when the pencil moves close to them.
Also, the layers options are very limited. For example, naming, merging down, combining layers. I know that this app isn’t Procreate, but it has the potential to compete with some of the other major art apps.
There is no file Save As or naming facility, and there is no file management (Folders) capability.
The colour palette saving and brush saving is just great. All in all, the designers have done very well and I look forward to seeing how they improve the app in the future.
When I paint in the real world I don't have layers, and I don't have infinitely resizable brushes. I have no problems with these features of Art Set. What bugs me is the lack of ability to scale the canvas/image, and lack of rotation control; the former because digital and analogue resolution and scale are inherently so different, and the latter because rotation is a fundamental real-world property, and every other iPad app does it.
Oh, and I want a palette-knife to push paint around with.
Apart from that, this app is nearly perfect.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.