* Not working on latest OS X. Do not purchase.
* Existing customers please visit aText's web page for instruction to switch to non-sandboxed working version for free.
"The Best Text Expansion App" - LifeHacker
aText accelerates your typing by replacing abbreviations with frequently used phrases you define.
E.g. make an abbreviation “myname” to insert your name “First Middle Last” in any application.
With aText you can easily avoid typing the same thing over and over.
• Insert images and formatted text.
• Capitalize new sentences. Correct double capitals.
• Insert the current date and time in any format. Insert day in the future or the past, for example: next Sunday, previous Monday.
• Embed clipboard content in snippet, embed another snippet, use editable fields in snippet, send any key (such as Esc, Tab, Enter, arrow keys, etc).
• Reposition the cursor in the expanded snippet.
• Invoke AppleScripts and Shell Scripts.
• Import data from TextExpander, TypeIt4Me, SpellCatcherX, CSV file.
• Sync via iCloud/Dropbox/Google Drive/SkyDrive.
Added option to disable Auto-Correction or snippet group in specific input methods.
Added ability to add note to snippet.
Improved "wildcard search" usability.
Ratings and Reviews
Don’t buy or trust
The El Capitan problem is unfortuate for the developer. For some reason my App Store version won’t even download now (and I’ve followed instructions to transfer it over a number of times). The installation just hangs. I’ve emailed the developer and no response. So, I repeat, it’s unfortunate for the developer, but all sympathy has gone now as they clearly don’t care in the slightest about their paying customers. All they have to do is write a polite response keeping us in the loop. They could even set an email autoresponder up at least acknowledging the situation and telling us next steps. But no! Total silence. $5 wasted on a broken product that’s sucked out way more time of mine in trying to fix than it actually ever saved me. I guess you get what you pay for……..AVOID - pay the extra for TextExpander.
It only just works: this app doesn’t download, so you can’t even use the paid version
The developer doesn’t appear to support the AppStore version. I’ve just spent a very frustrating 60 minutes on to Apple support that I need to be able to install the licence from this app from the AppStore so that I can use the off-AppStore version.
I would have posted the 60 minutes of chat, including 5 times when the support system cut me off, meaning I basically had to start explaining my problem again to the chatbot. However, they didn’t send me the email with the case number.
Apple, for software that only just works.
El Capitan issues
I’ve gone through the process of downloading the non-Mac App Store version of aText and transferring my license quite a few times, but for me at least it’s proven to be just a temporary fix. At some point aText will revert to the App Store version (which doesn’t work with El Capitan), or will say there is already an instance of aText running and refuse to work. I’ve emailed the developer and had no response. I’ve also emailed Apple to report this issue and had no response. When it worked this was a 5 star app, but if you’re running El Capitan I would definitely recommend against downloading it here.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.