Be rewarded for safe driving and use our new Dash Cam feature to capture the road ahead
Some things are hard to explain – so we added a Dash Cam to our Drive app to make things easier. It's super simple – just download it for free then record, save and share footage to support your claim.
And the discount? Drive 200 miles to get a safe driving score from 0-10 based on your skills behind the wheel. We’ll use your score to calculate a discount on our comprehensive car insurance (Safer drivers save an average of £170 on their Aviva car insurance with our free Aviva drive app*).
How it all works
Tracking your progress
With a map function built-in, you can track your journey, and see a summary of all your journeys when you reach your destination.
Auto-tracking your journey
You should never use your mobile phone while driving – and with Aviva Drive you don’t have to. The app uses your phone’s GPS to detect when your vehicle starts moving, and automatically records your journey.
Scoring your driving
You’ll be scored on cornering, braking and accelerating, plus you can earn in-app badges for safe driving. Share with friends to see who’s the safest!
Dash Cam Feature
Set up your phone in a cradle with the camera viewing the road ahead, and then turn on the Dash Cam. It’ll record your journey, but only save the footage in the event of a crash or if you decide to save it manually.
- Always, use a cradle. Never handle your phone while your drive – it’s both dangerous and illegal! Plus securing your phone stably in a cradle will give the most accurate GPS data for your journey.
- A score of 3.1 or above gets you a discount (don’t worry, there’s no penalty for a score below that, you just won’t get a discount through the app!).
- Your data will help us understand your driving behaviour and risk. We’ll abide by the highest standards for protection and security for all data collected.
- Continued use of GPS with Aviva Drive can dramatically decrease battery life.
- We’ll never use GPS data that could be unreliable, so your tracked journey might appear shorter than you’d expect sometimes.
- You’re in control of any Dash Cam footage – it’s saved locally on your device within the app. We only see it if you choose to share it with us.
- * Based on policies bought direct from Aviva between 1st May 2017 to 31st December 2017. Discount is available on first car per policy and depends on score and price - minimum £200. Discount does not apply to optional extras. Compatible handset required. Data charges may apply.
Thanks for using Aviva Drive! We update our app regularly so we can make it better for you.
In this update:
- Users whose score has expired will be notified and prompted to retry for an improved score
- More badges are now available in your online account, along with your distance awards
- Upgrades to the core technology which powers the Drive App, to maintain a robust and accurate service
- As always, we’ve squashed some bugs that you’ve told us are causing you pain as well.
Love the app? Tell us about it! Your feedback keeps Aviva Drive's engine running. Have a question? visit Aviva.co.uk/drive
Ratings and Reviews
Good app but results confusing!!
I downloaded this app in February and have used it every time I have been out in my car. I question the accuracy greatly. It misses out many miles and sometime whole journeys. That part is really frustrating as I did a long trip of approx 90 miles and would of got my first 200 mile ‘score’ but it failed to record the journey. I have repeated the 200 miles a few times now and my score is really up and down. Today I completed another 200 miles and the acceleration seemed to be the issue with a score of 4.2! This has always been really good in other 200 mile recordings. I drive an automatic yet it talks about selecting the right gear and erratic acceleration. It picks up every pot hole in the road as collision detected. I do think as well if your phone is not held securely in a cradle it can affect the recording, mine attaches by magnet, and going over speed bumps and humps in the road the phone can move and bounce slightly. It encourages you to do better but not 100% accurate by any means. Living with a traffic police officer who is meticulous about driving (and highly critical of poor driving), if he says I’m doing very well and a confident and safe driver then I’ll take that over a temperamental app!!!!
Great saving but a few bugs
Firstly I’ll start by saying that my renewal was due at the end of November. So I started using this app ready to get a quote. On the day I got my 200 mile score I did a quote online and then straight away one through the app. All details were exactly the same. Except my price was £300 cheaper through the app with a score of 9.0. Couldn’t be happier and much cheaper then the renewal I had anywhere else including my existing insurer. And I mean by a lot, £60 pm cheaper than them. I’m not a high risk driver, 16 yrs no claims, mid 30’s and a standard car and now it feels that has been reflected in my price.
On to the downside. The auto record is a bit touch and go. I’ve probably done twice the mileage that it has recorded. I don’t always remember to go into the app and start the journey. I don’t understand when my commute is 27 miles with no traffic but it doesn’t always pick up the journey, but then will pick up a short journey. It actually hasn’t recorded anything in December at all and I have done plenty of driving since Friday.
Good dashcam... with the addition of a few features it could be 5 star app
Overall the dashcam works well, and I like the auto footage saving feature when it detects a collision so that it doesn’t use up all your phones storage (although thankfully haven’t had to test this in a real situation yet).
The main thing that stops this from being a dashcam replacement is the inability to use the phone as a satnav, play music or even answer a phone call on Bluetooth while using the dashcam. This means that on long journeys where I’m not familiar with the roads, where this would be a really useful tool, I can’t actually use the dashcam as I need to use the satnav on my phone.
The only other feature that I think would be good is if the driving score was constantly being reassessed so that when your renewal comes up you have had the chance to improve your score and your discount. This would also mean that drivers who simply drive carefully for 200 miles before driving like an idiot for the rest of the year wouldn’t be able to continue to get undeserved discount at renewal.
- Aviva PLC
- 112 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad (4th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch)Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, and iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2016 Aviva Insurance Limited
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.