Be rewarded for safe driving and use our new Dash Cam feature to capture the road ahead
Some things are hard to explain – so we added a Dash Cam to our Drive app to make things easier. It's super simple – just download it for free then record, save and share footage to support your claim.
And the discount? Drive 200 miles to get a safe driving score from 0-10 based on your skills behind the wheel. We’ll use your score to calculate a discount on our comprehensive car insurance (Safer drivers save an average of £170 on their Aviva car insurance with our free Aviva drive app*).
How it all works
Tracking your progress
With a map function built-in, you can track your journey, and see a summary of all your journeys when you reach your destination.
Auto-tracking your journey
You should never use your mobile phone while driving – and with Aviva Drive you don’t have to. The app uses your phone’s GPS to detect when your vehicle starts moving, and automatically records your journey.
Scoring your driving
You’ll be scored on cornering, braking and accelerating, plus you can earn in-app badges for safe driving. Share with friends to see who’s the safest!
Dash Cam Feature
Set up your phone in a cradle with the camera viewing the road ahead, and then turn on the Dash Cam. It’ll record your journey, but only save the footage in the event of a crash or if you decide to save it manually.
- Always, use a cradle. Never handle your phone while your drive – it’s both dangerous and illegal! Plus securing your phone stably in a cradle will give the most accurate GPS data for your journey.
- A score of 3.1 or above gets you a discount (don’t worry, there’s no penalty for a score below that, you just won’t get a discount through the app!).
- Your data will help us understand your driving behaviour and risk. We’ll abide by the highest standards for protection and security for all data collected.
- Continued use of GPS with Aviva Drive can dramatically decrease battery life.
- We’ll never use GPS data that could be unreliable, so your tracked journey might appear shorter than you’d expect sometimes.
- You’re in control of any Dash Cam footage – it’s saved locally on your device within the app. We only see it if you choose to share it with us.
- * Based on policies bought direct from Aviva between 1st May 2017 to 31st December 2017. Discount is available on first car per policy and depends on score and price - minimum £200. Discount does not apply to optional extras. Compatible handset required. Data charges may apply.
We've fixed an issue to help you get quotes from the app.
Love the app? Consider rating us! Your feedback keeps Aviva Drive's engine running. Have a question? visit aviva.co.uk/drive
Ratings and Reviews
Great saving but a few bugs
Firstly I’ll start by saying that my renewal was due at the end of November. So I started using this app ready to get a quote. On the day I got my 200 mile score I did a quote online and then straight away one through the app. All details were exactly the same. Except my price was £300 cheaper through the app with a score of 9.0. Couldn’t be happier and much cheaper then the renewal I had anywhere else including my existing insurer. And I mean by a lot, £60 pm cheaper than them. I’m not a high risk driver, 16 yrs no claims, mid 30’s and a standard car and now it feels that has been reflected in my price.
On to the downside. The auto record is a bit touch and go. I’ve probably done twice the mileage that it has recorded. I don’t always remember to go into the app and start the journey. I don’t understand when my commute is 27 miles with no traffic but it doesn’t always pick up the journey, but then will pick up a short journey. It actually hasn’t recorded anything in December at all and I have done plenty of driving since Friday.
Good dashcam... with the addition of a few features it could be 5 star app
Overall the dashcam works well, and I like the auto footage saving feature when it detects a collision so that it doesn’t use up all your phones storage (although thankfully haven’t had to test this in a real situation yet).
The main thing that stops this from being a dashcam replacement is the inability to use the phone as a satnav, play music or even answer a phone call on Bluetooth while using the dashcam. This means that on long journeys where I’m not familiar with the roads, where this would be a really useful tool, I can’t actually use the dashcam as I need to use the satnav on my phone.
The only other feature that I think would be good is if the driving score was constantly being reassessed so that when your renewal comes up you have had the chance to improve your score and your discount. This would also mean that drivers who simply drive carefully for 200 miles before driving like an idiot for the rest of the year wouldn’t be able to continue to get undeserved discount at renewal.
So far so good..
The app really helps with keeping you conscious of the speeds you're doing, your braking, your cornering and fuel consumption. A couple of issues I have with this, the 'auto-record' does not always record from the start of your journey so you can sometimes miss a couple of miles off of your overall trip. This isn't a major issue but annoying when you're so close to hitting 200 miles! Another issue is that the cornering does not seem to be accurate at all. I travel to and from work daily and perfectly within the speed limits and slow down when cornering, yet it seems next to impossible for me to be able to get a top score for cornering. It seems that sometimes the app doesn't want to say you're a perfect driver so will take points off you in a certain area so you constantly think you have to improve. This may not apply to everybody, just my opinion! I'd recommend it though, but I can't give a higher score at the moment as I haven't had a quote through to confirm this has actually helped me.
Developer Response ,
Hi Sibster121, thanks for the feedback you have provided, sorry if this is causing an issue when you get close to completing 200 miles. Please can you get in contact with us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can investigate this issue.
- Aviva PLC
- 96.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch) and iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2016 Aviva Insurance Limited
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.