Basic Italian For Dummies
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Want to speak Italian? Dummies can help!
Whether you want to take up Italian from scratch or brush up on your existing skills for work or travel, this practical app is for you! Fun flashcards highlight common words and phrases written in English and their translation in Italian with audio playback. An Italian-English and English-Italian mini-dictionary gives you flexible and easy word lookup. Special interactive features let you mark your favorite phrases and share with friends on e-mail or Facebook. This app will have you speaking Italian quickly and confidently.
1. Words/Phrases – Learn the most common words and phrases for whatever situation you encounter. Words and Phrases are categorized for easy look up – Greetings, Small Talk, Expressions, Numbers, Time, Calendar, Directions, Work, Appointments, Travel, Get Help, Restaurant, Hotel, Bank, Store, Office, School, At Home, and Entertainment. You’ll find what you need with both phrases and words written in English and their translation in Italian with audio playback. Plus, there’s a featured Phrase of the Day to help further build your skills.
2. Dictionary – Commonly used words in both Italian to English and English to Italian formats.
3. Flashcards – Pick your category (same ones as in Words/Phrases) and you are off to a fun-filled way to practice your Italian. Includes the most widely used words and phrases written in English and their translation in Italian with audio playback.
4. Basics – jam packed with information on everything from Nouns, pronouns, and articles, to the multitude of Verbs (infinitive, irregular, tenses, and negative), you get examples to help you get a good Italian foundation.
5. Part of Tens – Loaded with more “extras” these listings feature fun ways to put Italian to work for you. Ten common expressions, frequently mixed-up verbs, holidays, common mistakes, and phrases that make you sound Italian.
6. Favorites – With so many features in this App, we let you decide your favorites. Easily mark and store the words and phrases you want to review, use more, or need to know. Make updates to your favorites anytime by adding/deleting phrases and words.
7. Share – Impress family and friends by sending words and phrases from the app with friends using Facebook or email.
The Basic Italian For Dummies app is your on-the-go guide to making learning Italian easier.
NOTE: All the content and audio files are included in the app. No network connection is needed to view the content. Network connection is only needed for Facebook and email sharing options.
What's New in Version 1.1.0
This version fixes the issue where page scrolling would not work properly on some screens in the app when running on iOS 4.2.1
Let's make things clear for the idiots...
Okay so those of you wondering "omg, the playback doesn't work" more than likely havent thought to turn your phone off of silent and turn up the speaker volume. I had this problem at first but quickly worked it out. Just thought I'd save a lot of confusion.
P.S. great app, well done :)
Audio works fine on iPad2
The app description clearly says that the audio is linked to the flashcards section. When you first flip over one of the flashcards, a loudspeaker icon appears- tap it and the Italian is spoken aloud. Although lots of reviewers say the audio doesn't work, it is ok on my iPad2. I really like the app, the audio flashcards are a bonus!
Yep, Audio Does NOT Work
Pity, because it seems like a useful app - well, it still IS a useful app - but as others have said, you really need to hear the language spoken to get the full benefit from an interactive learning tool like this, and the audio really doesn't work on this one. Not the faintest whisper of sound. And yes, I do have my phone off 'silent' and with the volume turned up.
- Category: Education
- Updated: 28 March 2011
- Version: 1.1.0
- Size: 7.0 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Skava, Inc.
- Copyright © 2010 Skava, Inc. Copyright © 2010 Wiley Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.