By Media Applications Technologies Limited
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get the latest breaking news from the BBC and our global network of journalists.
Stories are arranged in categories including top stories, UK news, world news, politics, business, technology and sport.
The app offers the BBC News Channel streamed live, social features and personalisation so you can re-order the news categories to suit your interests.
NB Please note that to refresh the app you should pull down on the main content area. See in-app help page for further details.
The BBC News app offers the following:
- Breaking news
- Top Stories and latest headlines
- Features and analysis
- Live BBC News Channel
- News clips embedded in stories
- An 'Edit' menu to personalise your experience and choose news that interests you
- Share news stories by email, Facebook and Twitter
- Font controls to increase or decrease the story text size to suit you
- Refresh controls to see the latest stories and updates
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by ProcessOne on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed. The BBC will keep your information secure and not share it with anyone else in accordance with the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy, available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy. You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications from BBC News in your device’s ‘Notifications’ screen.
What's New in Version 3.4.1
We are making regular updates to improve performance and stability.
This release includes crash fixes for users running iOS 9
Hideous UI - annoying push notifications
Yet another app where the developers seem to think THEIR opinion about what I want to see is more important than mine. I COULD NOT GIVE A STUFF WHAT OTHERS HAVE READ OR WATCHED. I certainly don't want to see the front page littered with this self promotion. What's the point of offering me what I want to see if you force this CRAP on me.
You think it's better, but its not; your developers clearly know nothing about design, effective UI or meeting the needs of the audience. Whoever looked at this and thought, "Great! Release this to the public", clearly isn't competent to make such decisions.
Still no way to control what is considered worthy of a news alert. Today had 4 in the space of 5 minutes, all irrelevant to me. Most annoyingly though, 3 were about the same breaking news item, and all within 2 minutes. Finally had enough of this drivel... Uninstalled. Apple news may be a scraper, but it's a hell of a lot less annoying! And for that to be said of an Apple product, speaks volumes about this one - that it is preferred.
Smooth, easy to navigate and find articles.
Having read a few reviews prior to adding mine I really can't understand why they have such scathing remarks. It's petty to say that 'they have scroll down half a page to read something due to picture/VT taking up a portion at the top'. Be real, how hard is it to flick:scroll to the bit where the written part is? It barely takes a second!? I installed it on iPhone 5&6+ as well as iPad 2-air2 and it has never crashed or dropped even after any updates. I adjusted the settings to my personal preferences, and it's been 5* since day 1.
Get rid of the annoying giant full page photos on each article
At some point in mid October 2015 the iPad app started showing giant full screen photos at the top of every article. This is an awful change and means you have to scroll a full page before you can start reading each article. It's very annoying. Most of the time the photos are completely pointless and add no value to the story. Please remove these full page photos or at least make them optional. They just add more friction to the process of quickly reading the latest articles.
1) The iPad version needs a compact view like the iPhone. It takes far too long to be able to quickly scan through the articles to find ones you actually want to read
2) The app seems to have a bug in that old stories remain in the views for months at a time. This seems to be more common in sections that are not as frequently updated. For example I still have articles from May 2015 appearing in 'my news' section. It's very annoying seeing the same old articles that I read months ago still appearing in my feed.
- Category: News
- Updated: 15 October 2015
- Version: 3.4.1
- Size: 13.2 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
- Developer: Media Applications Technologies Limited
- © BBC 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.