Bear is a focused, flexible writing app used by everyone from bloggers and web developers to aspiring authors and students! It has quick organization, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
Bear is used by bloggers, book authors, lawyers, students, teachers, cooks, startups, travelers, families, and so many more!
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- One-tap formatting on iPhone and iPad with a custom shortcut bar
- **NEW** Create new notes with Siri and your wonderful voice
- Dictate and append to recent notes with your Apple Watch
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
*COLLECT AND CREATE* web pages and sketches
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
Some export features require a Bear Pro in-app subscription. Learn more below.
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB and more (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Quickly find what you need in Bear with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos. Use @files to find all notes with attachments
*USE IT EVERYWHERE*
A single Bear Pro subscription unlocks sync and other features across all your devices. Learn more below.
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We can’t see your notes, tags, or anything else
- Export some or all notes to open, portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle for the ultimate in portability—we don’t lock you in
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*UNLOCK ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (an 18% savings!)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
We'd love to answer your questions or just hear what you think about Bear. Find us online at:
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
# Bear 1.6.10 What’s New
Bear 1.6.10 is a small bugfix update. Learn more about our updates and get a big bear hug of tips on our blog: https://blog.bear-writer.com
If you enjoy using Bear, please leave a review! They really help. We’d also love to hear your thoughts and questions directly at email@example.com, on Twitter @BearNotesApp, on Reddit.com/r/BearApp, and Facebook/BearNotesApp
- Improved syntax highlighting for c, c++, and Swift
- Corrected HTML export bug regarding code blocks
- Corrected attachment path management when exporting to Markdown, HTML, and ePub
- Fixed a bug when parsing for todos
- Pasting from Firefox and Chrome on Mac now correctly include images
- Fixed some gitches on the iOS sharing extensions
- Improved iOS sharing to support Day One
- Fixed iOS x-URL-callback problems with `edit` and `header` parameters
- Minor localisations fixes
Welcome to Bear 1.6: The Siri & Navigation Edition! We packed some great stuff in this release, including 14 new iMessage stickers!
Learn more at: blog.bear-writer.com
**Siri Shortcuts and Search**
- Create new notes on iOS with Siri and the beautiful sound of your voice
- Use Siri any time to search your notes, without opening Bear
- Go to Settings > Siri & Search > All Shortcuts to create your own custom Siri commands for Bear (and many other apps!)
- Two new Special Search triggers: use @date and @cdate in the search box to search by modification date and creation date, respectively
**Enhanced Note Navigation Mega Technology**
Tap the Editor with two fingers for our new Quick Nav to get around your notes more quickly:
- Tap to see a navigation menu to move to the beginning or end of the current note, or to the previous and next notes
- Two-finger swipe in any of those directions to skip the menu and navigate immediately
**Enhanced Header Linking Super Technology**
Tap or click on any H1-H6 header for a way to link to that specific note’s section from other notes. This is great for working across multiple long notes, creating a personal wiki, and so much more!
**Sync transparency for Bear Pro**
It’s 2018, but sync can still be hard. For Bear Pro users with sync, we’re making Bear more transparent about when it last synced and if there is anything causing trouble.
Bear will try to be clearer about what’s going on if there’s an error, whether it’s a Bear Pro registration problem, iCloud is out of space or not set up properly, a poor internet connection, or a good ol’ fashioned error.
Finally, if Bear ever runs into a sync conflict, it will now display affected notes in a “Conflicted” section in the Sidebar.
**Lots of Other Goodies**
- Bear now saves your scroll and cursor position when switching notes
- Dark Mode support for macOS Mojave!
- One new free theme for all users: Dark Graphite
- One new theme for Bear Pro customers: Duotone Heat, Inspired by Base2Tone Heath Light by Bram de Haan
- 16 new TagCons! Including world, prize, doctor, and various religions
- 14 new iMessage stickers from our amazing designer, Vic Bell, a.k.a. @vic_bell on Twitter
Let us know what you think of Bear 1.6 or how your latest writing project is going!
Ratings and Reviews
Super Brilliant and Exciting. Versatile and Brave.
So, before I wrote this I thought I’d have a look at the one star reviews because I wanted to see what it is that I am not seeing, where is the broken parts? It might be that BEAR have taken on board what people have said, because there is now a one off payment for the pro version so that’s some of these negatives already striked out. I find their Twitter team to be charming, responsive and super fun so the complaints about tech support are confusing to me. Other than that, people are marking this down for not being Apple Notes/Evernote/Day One [delete as applicable]. It’s not any of them. It doesn’t say it is. When you read the blurb, nowhere does it say “we are taking on the establishment head on”. So if you are expecting that then you will be disappointed.
If you are looking for a simple, easy to use, forever evolving, versatile, exciting note app then you will love this. You can have multi layer tags - for example Todo and then under that ‘to buy’, ‘to blog’, ‘to pack’ whatever. It syncs across devices instantly. If you create something with a tick list it will show you how far through your ticks you’ve got. Having used all the established names in the past I’ve got to say that this takes the best of all of them and makes it better. Multiple notebooks? Check. Copy off safari? Yup. Headings, fonts, lists? Oh yes. I love it, and I am super proud to be along for the journey of BEAR.
No fluff or extra menus, but still inherently powerful. Evernote was my workspace for years, but it now seems clunky and frankly irritating to navigate.
I never understood why people use hashtags, except maybe for PR. But then I thought - why create folders, why endlessly have to navigate and move notes around. And what if I’m writing about a subject that should be in two places? Say - ‘outstanding work’ as well as ‘character sketches’. And if the feeling hits me, I don’t want to start navigating, I just want to open a fresh page and write. Bear allows this. I write what I like, put a hashtag at the end, and that either groups it together in the side menus with all notes sharing that hashtag, or if the hashtag is new it creates a new menu to add to later. It’s as simple and intuitive as I could ever want.
THANK YOU TEAM BEAR.
Clean and a feeling of space with no clutter
Brilliant App. Clean, a feeling of space without clutter. Very happy to pay a subscription. Good development needs to be supported if we wish to have Apps which are fit for purpose. I don't understand those who merely vote the app down because of a small fee. Bear is simple and uncomplicated to use and I am very happy to have found such a nice piece of development.
Update: November 2017
Used Bear for nearly a year now. Very happy with the App and the support. Regular updates that work! I use this App every day, and I am looking forward to another 12 months of use. The small fee to support development of this App is the right way to go and there’s no second thoughts here.
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 39.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Shiny Frog Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Pro subscription £1.49
- Yearly Pro subscription £13.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.