Birds Of Britain Pro is a guide to over 300 British birds, native and naturalised, with specially written text, professionally produced bird songs and calls, and carefully selected photos showing a variety of plumages. You can add your own photos to the app to compliment the images provided and to really make the app your own. In addition, this is the only quality bird app to include extensive record keeping features with iCloud syncing to keep your data safe. The app knows the names of a further 350 species that have visited or might visit Britain in the future, so that notes can be kept and they can be marked as seen.
"A twitcher's dream" - Matt Bingham, The Sunday Times
Selected by Apple for their "What's Hot" list since launch.
Birds of Britain Pro is a field guide:
• High quality photos for each bird, showing a selection of male, female, juvenile, alternate plumage, flight image and nest
• For many birds, an annotated photo shows key features, to help distinguish similar species
• Add your own photos of the bird or its habitat
• Specially written text covers rarity status, distribution, appearance, habitat, diet, lifespan, nesting habits, and more
• Recordings of songs and calls
• European distribution map for each bird
• Make a shortlist of favourite birds for fast access
• 'Here and Now' feature shows birds in your part of the country and this time of year
• Search by name, scientific name, part of name
• Sort alphabetically by name or second name, by taxonomic group, or by length
Birds of Britain Pro is a bird identifier:
• Use the 'Bird Finder' for fast identification of unknown birds
• Enter details such as size, colour, bill length and other features, date, habitat and location to select a shortlist
• Results are presented as a display of photos so that you can quickly spot the best match
Birds of Britain Pro is a record keeper:
• Mark birds as seen, note the location, time and date, make notes, view your records on a map or as a list, and download as a CSV file.
• Add your own photos to your sightings
• The app includes iCloud syncing so that your sightings will automatically synchronise across your devices (it is initially off, so if you would like to use it, please go to the Settings section of the app to enable it).
• You can transfer your sightings to someone else's device by using the email back-up.
• The app recognises the names of over 650 species and subspecies, so that you can record sightings and add your own photos of these birds.
We have many years experience of developing biological software and this has enabled us to pack the app full of features while keeping it simple and easy to use.
To get in touch:
Fixes a bug when renaming your own images on the iPad.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesomeness of this App
I find this app very useful, quick and easy to use. Has a good range of examples, which is on the increase. You can accurately record sighting within a few seconds. You can download and/or backup you records. The app is clear and clear allowing the text and images to be viewed on smaller screens.
Improvements to the app? Silhouettes of birds in flight would be handy and the ability to compare birds would be great.
All in all I love this app. It's helped me no end with bird recognition through the images and the soundtracks.
Best field guide for me
I am growing in my knowledge of birds, and I have found this app the best of any kind of bird guide available. I used to use a book out & about, a bigger book at home, a set of CDs to get my brain round the songs & calls, and the Internet for photos. Now? All these features are rolled together in this app. I no longer need anything else.
The photos are amazing, and the fact that it tells me which birds are found near my location is the icing on the cake. Really good value. I'd say it was worth £40 or £50, but here we have a bargain!
Spiny apps are great
I have 5 Spiny apps and they all use the same interface which is very easy to use. Species can be identified and sightings logged with your own pictures. I especially like the ability to compare pictures of different species to help identify what you are looking at. It would be even better though, if it were possible to flick through all the pictures available and not just the ones selected. E.g. you may wish to compare the top of a butterfly or mushroom, the underneath and then the distribution.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.