Birds of Britain and Ireland (Pro Edition)
By NatureGuides Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A high-quality digital field guide covering 271 species of birds regularly seen in Britain and Ireland. This list covers all except the rarest vagrants and includes every bird likely to be seen by the vast majority of birdwatchers in the UK throughout the year. Comprehensive information is provided including: multiple annotated illustrations by leading artists showing the full range of plumages including rarer races and variations, beautiful photographs for many species; songs and calls, maps showing distribution in the UK and in Europe and the full detailed text accounts from the Concise edition of Birds of the Western Palearctic (THE standard reference work originally published by Oxford University Press). Perfect for more experienced birders who will appreciate the comprehensive and professional ornithological content in this App.
• includes audio recordings of both songs and calls (which can be played on iPhone and iPod touch built-in speakers)
• annotated illustrations by top bird artists including Ian Lewington, Alan Harris, Mike Langman and D I M Wallace
• superb portrait photographs for many species
• definitive text accounts from the Concise edition of Birds of the Western Palearctic
• information on typical behaviour, identification and plumage variations
• many images showing nests, eggs and flight shots
• detailed distribution maps both for the UK and Europe
• quick search by species name or part of name
• organise bird names alphabetically or by family, with collapsible headings
• intuitive navigation uses gestures and flip-to-horizontal mode
• pinch zooming for visual assets
Produced and published by BirdGuides Ltd, the UK's leading developer of natural history software. Please visit www.birdguides.com to see the wide range of birding services and products that we offer. BirdGuides has been established for more than 15 years and is run by people who are birders themselves. We publish reference guides for every level of birder, from beginners to professional ornithologists. The content and design of this app for British and Irish birds draws on this wealth of expertise.
• To hear the songs, calls and commentaries, make sure your iPhone isn't switched to silent, and that the volume is turned up sufficiently.
• Early model iPod touch will require earphones or speakers.
• You may experience problems installing in-app updates if your iPhone/iPod is not running iOS 4.x. An update will be released to fix this problem very soon.
What's New in Version 1.0.5
- Fix bug in update downloader on iOS5.1
- Audio now plays regardless of mute switch position
BWP for Britain and Ireland
Excellent App! Well worth the money for its in depth detail and great bird calls on a loop. Very good idea. One of the best upgrade features is the Birds of Northern Europe, which is only a couple of pounds more and again, well worth it.
Negatives - only the fact that there is no sign of the Southern Europe add-on yet, so it is sometimes quite restricted in coverage. Hope to see this setome soon!
Only one thing missing!!
Excellent app! Would be a five star review but in my opinion it's only missing and interactive element that could allow you to 'tick off' each species that you have spotted. Just a small box you could touch to apply the tick.
A bit pricey but worth the money
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 23 July 2012
- Version: 1.0.5
- Size: 249 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: NatureGuides Ltd.
- © 2010 BirdGuides
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Northern European birds update£2.99