Birds of Brazil
By NatureGuides Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A high-quality digital field guide, with bird names in English, scientific and Portuguese, covering over 1800 species of birds seen in Brazil. This list covers vagrants and includes every bird likely to be seen by birdwatchers in the region throughout the year. Information is provided including illustrations showing a range of plumages including subspecies and variations, beautiful still photographs for many species; songs and calls, maps showing distribution and text accounts from the Birds of Brazil by Ber van Perlo.
• species names in English, Scientific and Portuguese
• includes audio recordings of both songs and calls (which can be played on iPhone and iPod touch built-in speakers)
• superb portrait photographs for many species
• text accounts from the Birds of Brazil
• information on typical behaviour, identification and plumage variations
• distribution maps
• quick search by species name or part of name
• organise bird names alphabetically or by family, with collapsible headings
• intuitive navigation uses gestures and flip-to-horizontal mode
• pinch zooming for visual assets
• favourite species feature
Produced and published by BirdGuides Ltd, the UK's leading developer of natural history software. Please visit www.birdguides.com to see the wide range of birding services and products that we offer. BirdGuides has been established for more than 15 years and is staffed entirely by people who are birders themselves. We publish reference guides for every level, from beginners to professional ornithologists. The content and design of this app for Brazilian birds draws on this wealth of expertise. Please see our other apps in the iTunes store.
• To hear the songs, calls and commentaries, make sure your iPhone isn't switched to silent, and that the volume is turned up sufficiently.
• Early model iPod touch will require earphones or speakers.
looks fine to me
Just got this app in advance of my second Brazil trip later this year. Looks fine to me, thumbnails and photos can be pinch-zoomed, disribution maps good and calls too. You can even tick off species you hve seen using the star icon.
Can't wait to use this in the field. Should be much easier than lugging around a big book!
Great idea ... but terrible illustrations
I have most other Bird Guides apps and applaud their innovative approach bringing field guides to the iPod and iPad, but the illustrations used for the species in this guide are truly awful.
The standard of photographs are generally good but these are not available for many species and the sound recordings are of mixed quality. The concept is the right one, but the quality of the original material is poor. Contrast this with BirdGuides app "Butterflies of Britain & Ireland" where the illustrations are superb!
It is a good app but could have an option to group birds by area.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Released: 03 April 2011
- Version: 1.0.0
- Size: 733 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: NatureGuides Ltd.
- © BirdGuides
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.