Explore the brain from the palm of your hand! Learn about the structure and function of the human brain by interacting with high-resolution rotatable 3D models in real-time like you've never seen it before!
Brain Tutor HD uses rendered head and brain models as well as fiber tracts that were created from magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans of a study volunteer. The MRI data allows to look "inside" the brain using real-time slicing at millimeter resolution. For students, cognitive neuroscientists, medical professionals and everyone interested in the brain, the program provides information about the anatomy and function of the human brain with various atlases describing and visualizing lobes, gyri, sulci, Brodmann areas, subcortical structures, selected specialized functional areas and major fiber tracts.
With Brain Tutor HD you can:
* Explore high-resolution 3D models of the head and brain in real-time.
* Visualize major white matter fiber tracts.
* Slice the brain along three axes (sagittal, axial and coronal).
* View MRI brain slices at millimeter resolution.
* Learn from text information about the functions of selected lobes, gyri, sulci, subcortical structures, Brodmann areas, functional areas and fiber tracts.
* Learn where brain structures are located both within 3D brain models as well as in MRI slices.
To get started:
* Tap on a 3D brain model to reveal a brain area at that location.
* Switch to another atlas and a specific brain area or fiber tract using the navigation tables.
* Select a 3D model (brain hemisphere, head) with the tab bar buttons at the bottom.
* Pan with one finger to rotate a brain model.
* Pan with two fingers to move a brain model.
* Use pinch gesture to zoom a brain model.
* Select the head model to switch to head slicing mode.
* Switch between navigation and slicing mode with two icons on right side in the top bar.
* In head slicing mode, pan with one finger to move the slicing plane.
* Tap on a slicing direction icon in the top bar to switch between three orthogonal slice planes.
* Tap on text icon (iPhone/iPod Touch) or info icons in brain areas/tracts table to view text information about selected brain structure.
This app has been designed and programmed by Prof. Rainer Goebel, a leading expert in anatomical and functional brain imaging and award-winning developer of scientific software. For more information about his work, see http://www.brainvoyager.com/RainerGoebel.html.
This is a major universal update of Brain Tutor 3D now supporting also the iPad. As in version 1.0, you can learn about the structure and function of the human brain by interacting with rotatable 3D models in real-time. Brain Tutor 3D now uses a modernised user interface and provides high-resolution brain models. While the app is still free, this version provides new atlas types for subcortical structures, functional areas and fiber tracts that can be obtained via in-app purchases.
Ratings and Reviews
Absolutely excellent resource - even for a brain surgeon!
I have downloaded hundreds of applications on the app store yet never left feedback until now...But I felt obliged to leave a 5 star review for this beautiful application (I would leave 7 stars if I could:)
This program provides excellent localization of various cortical brain structures on both a 3D model (which can be rotated) and also MRI scans slices (in all 3 planes). I'm very impressed with the amount of details that has been rendered for a free application - includes all major gyri and sulci and all the broadmann areas. Also contains written descriptions of the sulci, gyri and lobes.... Useful to revise even for a neurosurgical resident like me! Cannot praise it enough...
Perhaps you could bring out a more detailed version with labelled deeper brain structures/blood vessels/nuclei/ventricles etc....wouldn't mind paying for it either... I'm sure neither will many other professionals like myself if the price is not too exorbitant (eg. like the overpriced netter anatomy pictures)... keep up the good work...
More than very good
This application surprised me! It's fast, boasts quite a lot of information on the featured brain areas, and shows everything in a briliant 3D model! What a wonderful substitute to my wall wallpapered with thousands of prints and scans showing a tenth of all the info this app provides... just shame I didn't discover this before my exam from neurology yesterday, it'd make things a lot easier :-D Thanks, guys!
Lovely educational app
The interface for this is utterly professional, really slick movement of cutplanes or rotation of surfaces make this a joy to use. Complete Brodmann area parcellation is really useful. It would be awesome to be able to click a point and get the nearest label, but it's cheeky to ask for more from a great free app! Check out the free Coldspring 3D brain app too, it's transparent renderings of deep structures really complement this app.
- Rainer Goebel
- 144.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2008 Rainer Goebel, Brain Innovation BV
- In-App Purchases
- Subcortical structures £0.99
- fMRI areas £0.99
- Fiber tracts £0.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.