By Taptrix, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Brushes is a painting app designed exclusively for iOS. Rewritten from the ground up, Brushes 3 is universal — the same version runs on both your iPhone and your iPad. Move paintings between your devices and keep working wherever you go.
An accelerated OpenGL-based painting engine makes painting smooth and responsive — even with huge brush sizes. Brushes also records every step in your painting. Show off your creative process by replaying your paintings directly on your device.
– Create paintings with dimensions up to 2048x2048
– Full support for all Retina devices
– Background autosave
– Unlimited undo and redo
– Simple and approachable interface
– Full screen painting
– Record and replay paintings
– Ultrafast OpenGL-based painting engine
– Huge brush sizes up to 512x512 pixels
– Simulated pressure
– 64-bit painting on the latest hardware
– 14 parameterized brush shapes
– Adjustable brush settings (spacing, jitter, scatter, etc.)
– Adjustable color opacity
– Invert color and desaturate
– Flip and arbitrarily transform layers
– Adjustable color balance (iPad only)
– Adjustable hue, saturation and brightness (iPad only)
– Create up to 10 layers
– Lock and hide layers
– Lock layer transparency
– Adjust layer opacity
– Duplicate, rearrange, and merge layers
– Change blending modes: normal, multiply, screen, exclude
Import and Export:
– Integrated with Dropbox
– Import native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, and PNG files
– Export as native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, PNG, and Photoshop files (with layers)
– Place images from your photo album into paintings
– Copy paintings to the pasteboard
– Tweet paintings
– Post paintings to Facebook
– Zoom with two finger pinch
– Zoom in with two finger double tap
– Zoom to fit with two finger double tap
– Toggle interface visibility with a single tap (this can be changed to a two finger tap in the app settings)
– Tap and hold to access eyedropper tool
Screenshot credit: "Portrait of Ally" by John Bavaro (http://johnbavaro.com)
What's New in Version 3.1
As of version 3.1, Brushes is free/libre open-source software! Get the source code and contribute: github.com/sprang
- Updated to support iOS 7 (still runs on iOS 5 and 6)
- Updated to support new 64-bit iPhones and iPads
- Removed in-app purchase. Layer support is now included.
- Bug Fixes
Recommend - Excellent.
Other drawing apps I've downloaded over think their appearance & features and are more fussy than they need to be. Whereas I've found this one to be the most accessible and easy to use without over complicating functionality.
Images can be imported, exported and deleted easily. And i've had no issues when using a stylus. My only suggestions would be the addition of a few more tools such as; blur/smudge/blend and the ability to alter hues & saturation.
You can view some of the work I've created using this app on Instagram: theboyinthemist
I would note that since the IOS 8 update the app has stopped working and hope that it's an issue that's resolved quickly.
Unhappy iOS8 update!!
I absolutely adore this app and use it regularly to produce work for clients. However, upon installing the new iOS 8 update, I'm unable to access any of my work which is extremely frustrating as not only is it my entire portfolio but I have work saved that people have paid for. This is the best app for a graphic designer, but I'm very frustrated about not being able to access my work, praying that it becomes compatible for as soon as possible please!
I love Brushes, use it every day for sketching on the move. I am devastated that I can no longer access any of my files since installing IOS 8. I can see the pictures but can't open them to work on and any new pictures that I create appear in the gallery as blank files. Does anyone with any clout read these reviews? Is anyone doing anything about? Feeling extremely frustrated and angry.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: 13 November 2013
- Version: 3.1
- Size: 13.0 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Taptrix, Inc.
- © 2012 Steve Sprang
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5.