Brushes Redux is a painting app designed exclusively for iOS. Rewritten from the ground up, Brushes Redux is universal — the same version runs on both your iPhone and your iPad. Move paintings between your devices and keep working wherever you go.
An accelerated OpenGL-based painting engine makes painting smooth and responsive — even with huge brush sizes. Brushes also records every step in your painting. Show off your creative process by replaying your paintings directly on your device.
– Create paintings with dimensions up to 4096x4096
– Full support for all Retina devices
– Background autosave
– Unlimited undo and redo
– Simple and approachable interface
– Full screen painting
– Record and replay paintings
– Ultrafast OpenGL-based painting engine
– Huge brush sizes up to 512x512 pixels
– Simulated pressure
– 64-bit painting on the latest hardware
– 14 parameterized brush shapes
– Adjustable brush settings (spacing, jitter, scatter, etc.)
– Adjustable color opacity
– Invert color and desaturate
– Flip and arbitrarily transform layers
– Adjustable color balance (iPad only)
– Adjustable hue, saturation and brightness (iPad only)
– Create up to 10 layers
– Lock and hide layers
– Lock layer transparency
– Adjust layer opacity
– Duplicate, rearrange, and merge layers
– Change blending modes: normal, multiply, screen, exclude
Import and Export:
– Integrated with Dropbox
– Import native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, and PNG files
– Export as native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, PNG, and Photoshop files (with layers)
– Place images from your photo album into paintings
– Copy paintings to the pasteboard
– Zoom with two finger pinch
– Zoom in with two finger double tap
– Zoom to fit with two finger double tap
– Toggle interface visibility with a single tap (this can be changed to a two finger tap in the app settings)
– Tap and hold to access eyedropper tool
Screenshot credit: "Portrait of Ally" by John Bavaro (http://johnbavaro.com)
- The black artifacts are finally gone thanks to Patrice Kouame (SpiraMira)
- iPad Pro support
- Apple Pencil experimental support
- Better export support, which means you can now AirDrop, export to other apps directly from Brushes
- Import of editable Brushes files. Now you can open painting via AirDrop, from e-mails and continue working on the painting
- Enabled iTunes File Sharing to be able to access your paintings from a computer
Ratings and Reviews
Having an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, I was quite excited to download this latest update. Unfortunately, now, when 'two finger tap is enabled', the app crashes every time you try to draw one dot. It is very frustrating and has put me off using this app as I did use this feature quite frequently.
I have been using Brushes for some time and it was my favourite art app hence the 4stars. It would be 5 if and when this glitch is sorted.
Brushes annoying bug
I like this app but two problems which are very annoying. The fact as soon as you tap the screen the screen disappears and secondly it's great to see the drawing develop with the video option but you can't save it. If you could sort these two issues out it would be a amazing app
Complete novice to ...
... Master artist in less than 1 hour !
I am NOT joking. The software is amazing and very easy to use indeed. I didn’t need to read anything and managed 3 pieces that I was really proud of. What is surprising is that my wife loved all 3 ... that is very unusual.
How can this be free?
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.