Butterflies of Britain and Ireland
By NatureGuides Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This comprehensive field guide covers all 61 regularly occurring British & Irish butterfly species. Each species entry is lavishly illustrated with superb artwork by Richard Lewington and depicts each stage of the life-cycle: adults (including variation between broods, sexes and forms), larvae/caterpillars, pupae and eggs. Photographs, charts showing flight times, detailed maps and specially commissioned text ensure this app will provide every butterfly watcher with all the information they could need.
• annotated illustrations by Richard Lewington
• comprehensive collection of still photographs including larval and pupal stages
• detailed distribution maps
• flight time charts (phenograms) showing which life stages to expect when
• compare any image side-by-side in Compare mode
• detailed reference text for every species on all aspects of its biology
• sort alphabetically or by family
• seamlessly move between species by swiping up or down on illustrations
• jump out of the app with a single tap to view coverage of the species in Chris Manley's ‘Moths of Britain & Ireland’ app, if installed
A proportion of each sale of this app is donated to Butterfly Conservation, the charity dedicated to saving butterflies, moths and their habitats – www.butterfly-conservation.org
This app requires iOS 7 or later.
What's New in Version 2.0.0
We've fixed a number of bugs that had crept into the previous version, and updated the design of the app to give it a clean, fresh look. We've also added a compare feature so you can view two species side-by-side. Additionally, the app is now optimised to look great on all devices.
Problems with version 2.0
The content of this app is very good and I have been happily using version 1 for a good while. The upgrade to 2.0 brings some useful features (e.g. a comparison facility) but also introduces a major problem. While the photos on this version will still resize to fill available screen space (if you minimise the text or change to landscape orientation) the other illustrations don't - they just show at the same small size surrounded by loads of wasted white space. The accompanying i.d. tips text now verges on too small to read on a full-size iPad. In version 1 the illustrations resized properly to use available screen space. This is a backward step for version 2.0 and, given that the illustrations are such a key component of the guide, it really needs fixing to restore the usability of the excellent underpinning content.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 18 December 2015
- Version: 2.0.0
- Size: 148 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: NatureGuides Ltd.
- © 2015 NatureGuides Ltd.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.