Byword makes writing easier on your iPhone and iPad.
# Key features of Byword
- Designed to make writing with Markdown easier
- Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
- Take all documents offline to access them anytime
- Filter documents by searching all text (Find & Replace inside documents coming soon)
- Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
- The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
- Export Markdown documents to PDF and HTML documents
- Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote
# Optimized for iOS 11
- Search documents directly from iOS 9 Spotlight;
- Multitasking and split screen on iPad;
- 3D Touch shortcuts to create new document and access most recent documents;
# Blog publishing
Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote from Byword. Publishing your story with Byword is as simple as:
1. Write in Byword
2. Open Tools and select Publish
3. Confirm metadata
# More features
- List continuations
- TextExpander snippet expansion
- Word and character counters with live update
- Extensive VoiceOver support for visual impaired users
- Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
- Keyboard shortcuts for formatting and navigating between screens
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
- For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces and risking losing your work
- For research, meeting and class notes
- To write that important email without being distracted
- To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Rich text warning
Byword for iOS only works with plain text formats. Supported file extensions are: txt, text, md, mmd, markdown, markdn, mdown, mkdn, markd and fountain.
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support. If you need help and/or have suggestions, please contact us using the mediums below.
Ratings and Reviews
Neat, clean, useful and effective extended keyboard bar. A selection of four fonts of which the default M+ C Type 1 is easy on the eyes. My initial impression is that Byword feels a very useable app especially on the iPad, with nice extra features but not too many to create confusion. I like it more than I thought I would.
Offline or in Airplane Mode Byword uses a subtle (impossible to see) little symbol to the right of the filename in the file list, cloud symbol = in the cloud, device symbol = cached on device. To have access to the file offline it must be cached by viewing it whilst online.
So far I have found syncing with Dropbox works well. I've had no trouble with Previews nor the display of tables. I have used it on an iPad (1st Gen) and an iPod (4th Gen) without problems.
Beautiful, but with two glaring issues
The first time you use this app, you want to love it. It's just so beautiful. Working with a bluetooth keyboard on a longer text document, with the markdown syntax highlighting, is like a dream come true. It's beyond what you could even ask for.
So it's with real reluctance that I say that each of these two issues takes one star off my review:
1. Scrolling issues. When I'm scrolling through a long document (without a bluetooth keyboard connected), it occasionally jumps back to where the cursor is. Not a big deal, except it happens quite often. More of an issue is trying to select large blocks of text, which can be impossible. It just refuses to scroll while you highlight.
2. Sync. The sync with Dropbox is almost perfect. However, if you're using cellular, it only syncs one file at a time: the file you are working on. It will not sync a whole folder. (I even emailed support to ask about this, and they confirmed my suspicions and did not say they have any plans to implement it.) So every time you want to open a file, you have to wait for it to sync. If you are using this as your main, everyday notes app, you will get annoyed by the amount of seconds wasted syncing every time you want to open a different file.
Beautiful interface, terrible sync
I loved using this app for writing. It's a pleasure to work in and somehow elevated my writing process because of the design.
However, the sync with Dropbox is unreliable. After losing two entire documents (because the sync wiped the documents clean), I have switched to another app. It is unacceptable to lose work in an age of cloud saves and local saves.
I was able to put up with the way it constantly updated old documents and spawned duplicates all over the place - I considered that better than losing work. Funny how the app I am using now doesn't do that! It just tells me if the sync was successful or not. That's much better than incrementing a file name with a version number because it didn't know what to do about a sync failure.
- Metaclassy, Lda
- 8.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Metaclassy, Lda.
- In-App Purchases
- Publishing Free
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.