By Metaclassy, Lda.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
**Improved for iOS 7**
Byword is designed to make writing more enjoyable with Markdown on your iPhone and iPad.
# Key features of Byword
- Designed to make writing more enjoyable using Markdown
- Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
- Take all documents offline to access them anytime
- Search for text inside all your documents
- Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
- The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
- Export Markdown documents to PDF and HTML documents
- Premium feature: Publish to WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger, Scriptogram and Evernote
# Blog publishing — Premium only[^1]
Publish to WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger, Scriptogram blogs and Evernote notebooks from Byword. Posting to your blog with Byword is as simples as:
1. Write something in Byword
2. Open Tools and select Publish
3. Confirm title, tags, categories, etc.
[^1]: Requires a one-time in-app purchase for all your iOS devices. Premium on Mac requires a separate one-time purchase.
# More features
- List continuations
- TextExpander snippet expansion
- Word and character counters with live update
- Extensive VoiceOver support for visual impaired users
- Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
- For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces and risking losing your work
- For research, meeting and class notes
- To write that important email without being distracted
- To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Rich text warning
Byword for iOS only works with plain text formats. Supported file extensions are: txt, text, md, mmd, markdown, markdn, mdown, mkdn, markd and fountain.
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support. If you need help and/or have suggestions, please contact us using the mediums below.
What's New in Version 2.1.3
- Updates TextExpander to latest version
Beautiful, but with two glaring issues
The first time you use this app, you want to love it. It's just so beautiful. Working with a bluetooth keyboard on a longer text document, with the markdown syntax highlighting, is like a dream come true. It's beyond what you could even ask for.
So it's with real reluctance that I say that each of these two issues takes one star off my review:
1. Scrolling issues. When I'm scrolling through a long document (without a bluetooth keyboard connected), it occasionally jumps back to where the cursor is. Not a big deal, except it happens quite often. More of an issue is trying to select large blocks of text, which can be impossible. It just refuses to scroll while you highlight.
2. Sync. The sync with Dropbox is almost perfect. However, if you're using cellular, it only syncs one file at a time: the file you are working on. It will not sync a whole folder. (I even emailed support to ask about this, and they confirmed my suspicions and did not say they have any plans to implement it.) So every time you want to open a file, you have to wait for it to sync. If you are using this as your main, everyday notes app, you will get annoyed by the amount of seconds wasted syncing every time you want to open a different file.
Looks great, but scrolling on selection unreliable
I loved writing with this product, but on an iPad 2 at least there seem to be numerous issues with trying to scroll while selecting a large chunk of text. Specifically, it won't let you. Similarly trying to drag the selection markers around to expand or reduce the selected block of text seems to jump you to random areas within the document. Sadly this makes it extremely frustrating to use. Subsequently I've binned this and am using IA writer which is less buggy.
Beautiful and powerful
Covers all bases, I can now take my time writing my next blog post and not worry about losing it. I use the Dropbox sync over iCloud as it just works better.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 18 December 2013
- Version: 2.1.3
- Size: 5.1 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Metaclassy, Lda
- © Metaclassy, Lda.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases