The new Good Beer Guide mobile app has been the focus of intensive technical user experience development work to deliver a host of enhanced features.
New features accessible to all users include:
- Expanded basic search options providing listings of more pubs near you.
- Larger pub database contains enhanced listings for over 4,500 Good Beer Guide pubs and basic information on over 31,000 real ale pubs around the UK.
- Join the Good Beer Guide community with news feed and buddies social networking functions that allow you to let other users know where you are and what you are enjoying instantly.
- Share the moments with those who can't be there using integrated image capture features.
- Access even more detailed search results, including Good Beer Guide pub descriptions.
- Find over 7,000 real ales with tasting notes and information of over 1,400 UK breweries.
- Not sure what to pick at the bar, use the image capture feature to instantly search for a real ale, and then tag it for other visitors.
In-App subscribers get even more...
- Access even more detailed search results, including Good Beer Guide pub reviews.
- Open your Beer Book to find over 7,000 real ales with tasting notes and information of 1,400 UK breweries.
Our Auto-Renewable One Year Subscriptions cost £0.99 monthly, £1.99 quarterly, or just £4.99 yearly.
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
Terms and Conditions: https://gbgapp.camra.org.uk/terms
The pub search results now indicate visited and/or favourite pubs.
New favourites screens for favourite pubs, beers and breweries with slide-to-delete functionality.
Provide sorting and filtering capability for the pub visits, tasted beers and the various favourites lists.
The pub visits and tasted beers screens now include a scroll-to-top button.
Users can now update their email address via the profile screen.
The profile screen now shows the email address of the logged in user.
The favourites shown on the profile screen are now recent favourites.
The favourite pubs shown on the Find screen are now the recent favourites.
Improve the speed of the Find and Profile screens for users with a large number of favourites.
Bottled beers now highlighted with a "Bottled" label.
Scroll speed for visited pubs and tasted beers has been improved.
Retired beer records now show "?" for the location count.
Closed pub records are now handled appropriately.
Fixed an issue where the display of visited pubs and tasted beers lists were limited to 100 items.
Fixed an issue where editing visit / tasting dates would sometimes be recorded a day out.
Fixed an issue where an incorrect username/password on first start would incorrectly state the internet was unavailable.
Fixed an issue where a "scroll-to-top" double-tap on the feed page could cause the app to behave incorrectly.
Fixed an issue where the welcome message seen by new users in the feed page would attempt to display an invalid date.
Fixed an issue with the vertical position of search bar icons.
Ratings and Reviews
Given the data available to CAMRA to create a definitive on-line Beer Guide you have to ask where did it all go wrong? The old app was far from perfect, but was easy to use - get that? EASY TO USE. This app is the clunkiest, head-sctatchingly difficult and user-unfriendly effort which looks like it was put together by the work experience intern. I’ll highlight just three issues as I’m bored writing about its shortcomings already.
Main screen - huge, unattractive pictures (which are buttons) with no menu which makes you think it showing you this while it loads the proper home page.
Search - choice of ‘my location’ or ‘my location’ which is so counter intuitive to a quick search which is what most people will be after.
Presentation - when results are displayed, an individual pub entry is all white space with a blurred photo at the top. You need to scroll down to get the basic info. As an aside, checking a couple of local entries I noted that the app has globally changed all Tetley’s Bitter To Bank’s Bitter.
It is so bad it should be dumped and started again. As a long standing CAMRA member, I’m embarrassed that we’re offering this app for money. It’s not worth it even if it was free.
I don’t get why I have to pay
As a CAMRA member why do I have to pay to use the full version of this surely it should come with my membership?
There is so much opportunity to make more members through this app, it should have a join option as well as being able to input CAMRA membership number to get account details instead of having to create an account. Come along CAMRA you’ve dragged yourself into 2010 with this app but it’s 2018 now and we need more than a point and shoot app, what we are expecting is a great app that links seamlessly with all sorts of other resources like Tripadvisor and the pub websites and maybe a table booking app as well as integrating with my membership. How about it carrying an electronic version of the ‘spoons voucher for those of us who always leave them at home?
This is such a wasted opportunity 😕
This should be a perfect way to manage the pub listings from the hard copy Good Beer Guide! Just bought the 2018 guide and it’s packed with data. The list of breweries is huge now, and I suspect many pages of pub listings have been shelved.
Updates to the printed guide must be happening all the time, and the boom in breweries is immense. What better way to keep everything up to date than a digital App that connects to a live database of pubs, breweries, beers, ciders etc... ?
I would cheerfully pay an annual subscription and ditch my big fat book which is becoming unmanageable. There is no way I would find an entry in the printed guide - and then go on line to see if it still exists !
The possibilities for the App are great, with fully comprehensive lists, users filters, mapping locations, beer score feedback, favourites etc etc....
This App tries weakly to do some of this, but falls way way short! Such a huge disappointment...
Come on CAMRA, put some serious work into this and you can stop printing the guide!
- Campaign for Real Ale Ltd
- 101 MB
- Food & Drink
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2017 Campaign for Real Ale Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Good Beer Guide Full Access £4.99
- Good Beer Guide Full Access £0.99
- Good Beer Guide Full Access £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.