Celestial is a complete package for celestial navigation on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. It can perform celestial sight reductions, calculate fixes, present them visually, manage sights on multiple trips and assist in sight planning. It also includes a complete Almanac of the Sun, Moon, planets and stars. All this for the price of the Nautical Almanac for a single year!
- Supports quick sight reduction. Enter all sight values to quickly calculate an intercept or to double-check your own manual sight reduction.
- Includes a comprehensive trip manager that allows you to manage sights taken during a trip. Keep your sights with you forever!
- Multiple sights can be grouped and averaged together and a fix can be calculated. Lines of Position (LOP's) and fixes can be plotted on a virtual plotting sheet.
- Running fixes are supported!
- Includes a star finder and times of rise/set phenomena. Plan your sights and be on deck when it is time.
- Includes the complete Almanac of the Sun, Moon, planets, 57 navigational stars, Aries and Polaris for the years 1980-2099.
- Context-sensitive screen help for every screen so you always know what the intended function of the software is.
- Night mode preserves your night vision.
All sight reduction algorithms are based on the algorithms described in the Nautical Almanac (Sight Reduction Procedures). Celestial object positions are predicted using software from the US Naval Observatory.
Visit http://navimatics.com or search for "navimatics" in the AppStore for additional navigation products.
- Modern iOS 7/8 UI
- Night mode
- Includes support for the latest leap second on 2015-06-30
- Misc other fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Firstly I have been waiting for a long time for an app like this to come along which will run on my iphone or ipad. As a professional navigator I use software like this on my PC on a very regular basis both for my own calculations and to check those of others who I am responsible for.
Overall the app seems very good and well worth the money I paid for it. However I have only given it 3 stars for a couple of reasons. To earn one more star it would need to allow you to view Azimuths to a decimal place rather than rounding up to the nearest degree. As it stands this is basicly useless for taking gyro/magnetic compass errors which is one of the things that the 'Sky view' would be ideal for. Please sort this out!
To earn the last star would be an extra value for money thing. It would be great if the software would include and Rhumb Line and Great Circle calculator for sailings which would really enable it to compete with PC based software out there.
Over all pretty impressed and happy to have purchased but needs some improvements. Keep up the good work!
Very basic and not worth money
Does the same calculations as some other free apps. It does have some good features like the trip feature for storing several sights etc. for the money I would expect the input fields to be more locked down with a selection field rather than entering manually an getting in the correct format the app requires. Also not entirely sure on all the results thus far but need to do more sights to clarify. Happy to pay for an app that is above the free stuff. But this should be about a third of the cost
Having used this app to check and support my manual attempts whilst using the marine tables, (Nautical almanac and N.P. 401) I can say it is really quite brilliant and very simple. I even get it right sometimes!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.