By Andrew Kazmierski
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** ON SALE THROUGH THE HOLIDAYS! ***
Many of you have been contacting us with questions about Apple's recently announced iBooks for iPad. We have no involvement, but we are proud to have influenced the future user interface of digital reading.
Escape into some of the greatest stories ever written.
Experience digital reading in a way that is so natural, and so obvious, it just feels right.
It begins with a collection of over a dozen hand-picked, literary masterpieces…
• *NEW* Through the Looking-Glass (ILLUSTRATED)
• *NEW* The Odyssey
• *NEW* The Art of War
• *NEW* The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
• *NEW* The Illiad
• *NEW* The Count of Monte Cristo
• *NEW* Frankenstein
• Treasure Island
• Pride & Prejudice
• A Christmas Carol (ILLUSTRATED)
• Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (ILLUSTRATED)
• Gulliver's Travels
• The Time Machine
• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
• The Call of the Wild
• Flatland (ILLUSTRATED)
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
• Robinson Crusoe
• The Jungle Book
• The Metamorphosis
• Paradise Lost
• Hound of the Baskervilles
"You get the feeling of actually reading a book" - Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
• An intuitive and elegantly designed reading experience with realistic 3D page flips that track to your finger. You can even drag a bit to take a peek at the next page, or finish reading a sentence as you start turning!
• Flick up and down in your virtual bookcase to view your collection, tap a book to open, and tap and hold to drag and sort your books
• Tap the table of contents button on the top right for quick navigation between chapters
• View how far you are in a book at a glance with a subtle progress display integrated into the top bar
• Classics automatically remembers your place with a satin bookmark when exiting the app or book
• Options to toggle 'page flip' animation to a more minimal 'slide', and to turn the page flip sound off and on can be found in your iPhone's settings application
"You're really getting a much nicer book experience… it's a gorgeous program." - Leo Laporte, MacBreak Weekly
What's New in Version 1.3
• Fixed ordering in the chapter list of "Flatland."
NEW TO THE COLLECTION
• "Through the Looking-Glass" by Lewis Carroll
• "The Odyssey" by Homer
• "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu
If you haven't already, be sure to leave a review (we love hearing what you think of our app!), and check out our new Facebook group to leave book requests and ask questions: http://tinyurl.com/classicsfacebook
Thank you for your continued support!
Handy pocket size Library
Being a reader of modern fiction and science fiction, I've never really felt the urge to read any books that are older than 2001! This collection is brilliant and the price tag is fantastic - 59p wouldn't buy you the cover of Alice in Wonderland, let alone the whole book and 12 or so others besides! The Bookshelf idea is neat and the bookmarks in your current read looks cool too. But for me it could do with a few cusomisation options, namely: - Change the colour of your book shelf, with maybe wood effects or adding lights to it perhaps - Change the colour of your bookmark, while red is very nice I'd much prefer bottle green or purple - Change the font and page colour for the books Basically cosmetic changes really but on the whole a very well thought out idea and a great collection of books I've never had an inclination to read, but will definitely make the effort to thumb through at my leisure, and a lot less cumbersome than reading a book whle lying in bed, and they won't get dog-eared or creased! Overall: 4 Stars (5 Stars with a customisation option)
Just read a few reviews and had to re-review, to point a couple things out. First to the review stating there should be a larger list of books including sports and biographies/autobiographies, in case the title confused you this is called "CLASSICS" and there's a reason for that, it's dedicated to providing a library of classic literature not poorly written books on pop culture, I for one would feel the app had been tarnished if such books where added to the library. So far the library though requiring more updates is maintaining it's primary function and has a collection of truly classical pieces of writing and although I've read some really well written biographies on people like Sinatra, Marvin Gaye, John Gotti and such they would have no real place in this library.
like it already.. although the small screen on the iPhone can be a bit of a hindrance, the font size is really good for reading... and since it is a free app, i have no particular complaints about it.. the selection of books is very good to start with and i hope that more can be added to the store later.. will be looking forward to that soon...
for the time being it is good to pass time while waiting for buses and trains and just sitting at work while there is nothing much to be done..
the interface is really good, interactive and reminds me of my bookshelf at home :)
i'll say it is a must get app for all book, or rather e-book, lovers !
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: 16 July 2009
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 48.0 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Andrew Kazmierski
- © 2008-2009 Andrew Kaz & Phill Ryu
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.