* * Featured on the Wall Street Journal, BBC, The Guardian, TED, VICE Motherboard • Won Editors' Choice Award from PCMagazine * *
* * Looking up will never be the same again! Discover the amazing and unexpected world of clouds with CloudSpotter, your virtual guide to the wonders of the sky. Unlock Stars and Achievements for each new cloud type you spot, and compete with other CloudSpotters around the world! * *
* * *
From the fluffy Cumulus that form on a sunny day, to the rare Noctilucent clouds that shine from the fringes of space, the fleeting beauty and endless variety of clouds have have always fascinated scientists and daydreamers alike.
Fall in love again with this sense of wonder and dreaminess with CloudSpotter, created by Gavin Pretor-Pinney, bestselling author, winner of the Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books and founder of The Cloud Appreciation Society.
Introducing 40 uniquely different cloud species and light phenomena with hundreds of spectacular photographs and extensive descriptions, CloudSpotter enables you to easily identify and spot them as you look up the sky every day.
Even better yet, CloudSpotter turns cloudspotting into a unique reality-based game by challenging you to earn Stars, unlock Achievement Badges and compete against other CloudSpotters around the world as you build your cloud collection.
A perfect sky-gazing companion for long walks, cross-country road trips or train rides, and above the clouds from the window seat of a plane, where you might even spot the elusive Glory optical effect; a beautiful halo of rainbow colors around your shadow.
* * *
• The CLOUD LIBRARY features 40 unique cloud formations and optical effects, from the common Rainbow to the rare and beautiful Asperitas cloud, with hundreds of stunning photos and all of Gavin's entertaining explanatory notes from the Cloud Collector's Handbook. Learn what makes each formation special, and how to identify the clouds and light phenomena you spot in the sky.
• You win STARS for each new cloud type you successfully spot. The rarer the cloud, the more Stars you earn! Grow your CLOUD COLLECTION and complete special challenges to earn 20 beautiful, hand-drawn CloudSpotter ACHIEVEMENT BADGES.
• Our team of cloud experts carefully verifies each spotting. That’s right, real people will look at your cloud photos to confirm whether you identified them right!
• Collect all 40 cloud formations and complete your CloudSpotter collection with 115 Stars to clear the legendary TRIUMPH IN THE SKIES Achievement.
• Not sure about the kind of cloud or optical effect you see? The unique CLOUD IDENTIFIER makes figuring out what exactly you are spotting a breeze! Just answer a few questions, and CloudSpotter will tell you what exactly you are most likely looking at.
• Compete against your friends and CloudSpotters around the globe: See how well you fare against the growing worldwide community of cloud lovers on the app’s RANKINGS.
• Browse the CLOUDSTREAM, a live feed of weird and wonderful cloud photographs by other CloudSpotters worldwide. Every day, we select our favorite photo and feature it at the top. If one of your photographs is selected, it will earn you the special "Photo of the Day" Achievement Badge. Not an easy get!
* * *
LOVE FOR CLOUDS AND CLOUDSPOTTER:
"I can strongly recommend the app. It's a fun, educational, and challenging tool to help you identify, understand, and appreciate the wide variety of clouds that float above our world." (Tony Hoffman, PCMagazine – Editor Rating: Excellent)
"It makes you stare into the sky and think about what you are seeing. And as you start to understand what each cloud in the sky is, you start to appreciate them more." (Shaun McGill, Lost in Mobile)
"The best part was seeing photos of clouds snapped by other users!" (Tatiana Baez, VICE Motherboard)
* * *
Read more about CloudSpotter and preview our introduction video "The World of Clouds" on CloudSpotterApp.com.
• We've fixed a critical issue that could cause the app to crash when reuploading a spotting.
New features in 1.2:
• Spotting a small cloud or feature? Zoom in with the tap of a button!
• Tapped away the help screens a little too quickly? You can now view them again to your heart's content.
• App sounds are now silenced by default. If you miss them, just re-enable sounds in Settings.
Fixes in 1.2:
• Never miss a verification or a new badge: Push notfications work again.
• No more blackouts during update notifications.
• Better compatibility with iOS 9 and iPads.
• Various bugfixes and stability improvements.
• Note: If your spotting locations have been blank since the last app update, simply reinstall CloudSpotter. It's a permissions issue that can't be fixed any other way.
We won't bug you in the app to leave a review, but if you enjoy CloudSpotter, it would mean so much if you would share this by rating & reviewing the app on the App Store. Thank you!
Like fb.com/CloudSpotterApp or follow @CloudSpotterApp on Twitter to stay up to date with the latest news, and read the FAQ on our website for answers to your most frequent questions and suggestions. Happy cloudspotting!
Ratings and Reviews
Fun, but needs a little more
I love this app as it's a fun way to store some of my cloud pics, and explore what's going on elsewhere, but there needs to be a few improvements.
I like that you can't edit the picture, as it means it stays in its purest form, but it would be good to have a zoom function, as there are often details in clouds that aren't picked up by the camera until you zoom in (a small scale kelvin-helmholtz for example). I would also like to see the ability to focus (like touching the focal poling of the picture like you can do on a phone camera), this would stop some pictures from being over exposed (for example a picture I took of thin altostratus I deleted immediately, because all you could see was bright light).
A further point I would make is that it might be useful to incorporate some form of comment box, it doesn't even have to be available to see by everyone, but if the moderators could see I think it would be useful. Often a picture doesn't paint the whole story, so a narrative could help explain what is on show. For example, I upload a picture of stratus that was left 'unverified' even though the base was 500 ft and there was drizzle falling from it. The moderator clearly didn't see it as stratus, but it definitely was. A way to explain it would make fewer pictures unverified I would imagine.
(Also there seems to be a flaw with 'clouds close to me' as I'm in England but it thinks I'm in Ghana....)
Beautiful made, but being unable to upload cloud pics from camera roll is a deal breaker
I'd give this beautifully crafted, informative app five stars, but for the fact that cloud photos must be taken within the app. The statement, "Uploads from the camera roll aren't allowed as this would let unscrupulous CloudSpotters cheat too easily. (We don't mean you of course!)" is really mean-spirited. Who'd be cheating who? If cheating really is such an issue, either the community or software or both could easily be used to monitor uploaded image content. I feel a little cheated by the app purchase price given the above situation, so in the meantime I'm off to look elsewhere to post my cloud pics. I'm happy to reconsider my rating if and when camera roll upload permission changes.
Addictive and Fun
I'm becoming a cloud bore! I wish there was a way to go back a step, when you accidentally find yourself being asked, 'what cloud are you spotting?'- I'm not, instead I have to take a picture and then delete a spotting. Unless someone knows a way round this that I'm missing? Also, even with location services turned on, I find that the clouds 'near you' never are. I can't believe I'm the only one using the app for thousands of miles.
i do like the personal touch though, an encouraging e mail from the moderator explaining why it's unverified - not always, but occasionally.
- Cloud Appreciation Ltd
- 121.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- CloudSpotter © The Cloud Appreciation Society
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.