By Two Lives Left
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full physics engine for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Video recording: Record videos of your projects and share them
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at http://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you would like to help translate Codea into your language please join the translation effort at http://translate.twolivesleft.com
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
What's New in Version 2.3.1
Hi Everyone. Routine bug-fix release. Nothing to see here. Move along please.
• Adds Lua 5.3 support to Air Code
• Fixes an issue with parameter.number and huge values
• Improves compatibility with iOS 8.3
• Fixes to orientationChanged callbacks
Still reading? Do you like Codea and want to help us out? please consider leaving a review telling everyone what you think. It really helps and we love to read your feedback!
An investment worth making
I couldn't believe my luck when I discovered this app. It's brilliance is in that I can create my app anywhere just using this device. It's easy to bring in external graphics if I don't want to use the internal graphic editor. I've made one game and are working on my second now and its built me with confidence.
And the gem at the heart is the programming community. They are there to help you and you can't help but get involved. This is a brilliant investment for anyone wanting to learn to program and make not only their first iPad app but also to be able to make it universal too. Thank you Two Lives Left for this gift of an app.
Never thought i'd be interested in programming, but now i love it.
Using the example projects and help from the codea forums, i went from knowing nothing about programming, to being able to create games and all sorts of crazy stuff. Great app!
Would of given a five star but the output movie has the 'made with codea ' logo. Can't seem to remove it from output so 4 stars.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 21 April 2015
- Version: 2.3.1
- Size: 25.0 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Developer: Two Lives Left
- © 2014 Two Lives Left
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.