By Two Lives Left
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a number? Just tap and drag it. How about a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A full featured vector graphics and image renderer lets you prototype what you can imagine
• Lots of fantastic example projects to learn from, including games and simulations
• Generate random retro-game sound effects to use in your creations
• Touch your code: tap numbers, colors and images to adjust them
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from the keyboard
• Export your projects to Xcode to build native Apps
• Intelligent auto-completion suggests keywords and functions
• Cameras: use the live camera stream in your games and projects
• Import your own assets from Dropbox, photos, and more
• A fully featured physics engine for complex motion
• Add parameters to your simulation or game interface so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with the accelerometer and multi touch on your device
• Video recording: Record videos of your projects and share them!
• Codea renders your code with beautiful syntax highlighting
• Codea can render 3D graphics
• GLSL Shader Language support with built-in shader editor.
• Full support for the new iPad Retina display.
• Full App Store apps can now be made with Codea. Just touch-and-hold your project and choose "Export"
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page.
What's New in Version 1.5.5
We're working on a big new update. But for now, here's some fixes and enhancements.
• Some serious improvements to memory usage and stability
• readImage now supports multi-page PDF assets. Use the last argument to specify the page number
One of the most valuable apps out there
I love this app, it is a joy to use. It offers both great power and elegant simplicity. I have seen a lot of people undertake pretty impressive projects using only this (check the codea forum and what people are doing over there), some have made it on to this App Store via the Xcode export functionality.
Personally I like to use it as an artist might use a sketchbook, it is great to play with ideas and quickly try things out while on the go or before committing serious time. The set of libraries and lua make it flexible for this type of quick prototyping activity. I much prefer tackling a larger serious piece of work on my laptop even if the app is capable.
I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good learning environment, anyone who enjoys a creative challenge or developers as a prototyping tool. Don't expect to get much out of it unless you are prepared to invest in learning core programming concepts though, the app takes a lot of pain out a lot of areas but you still need to spend time on the basics.
No other app like this, simply great!
I've had Codea for around a year now and it's been great. I have not only used it to develop an iPad app for my A-Level computing project, but also just released 'Flappy Square' on to the App Store - a copy of flappy bird, that using this tool took a mere 2hours and 50 mins to develop for all iOS devices, not just iPad, with iAds.
Lua is a great choice for the language also - I didn't know it before buying the app, but it's so easy to learn; with any previous programming experience it won't take long at all. Adding to that, the built in documentation and example projects have proved invaluable, especially when Coding 'on the fly' where access to the internet is limited for help resources, but however actually not needed since the built in help is so useful.
I look forward to future updates.
An investment worth making
I couldn't believe my luck when I discovered this app. It's brilliance is in that I can create my app anywhere just using this device. It's easy to bring in external graphics if I don't want to use the internal graphic editor. And the gem at the heart is the programming community. They are there to help you and you can't help but get involved. This is a brilliant investment for anyone wanting to learn to program and make not only their first iPad app but also to be able to make it universal too. Thank you Two Lives Left for this gift of an app.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 08 September 2013
- Version: 1.5.5
- Size: 37.9 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese
- Developer: Two Lives Left
- © 2011 Two Lives Left
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.