‘It’s much more convenient than taking a big book with you...the Collins app is fantastic.’
– Chris Packham, Metro
‘The Collins Bird Guide app is destined to become a real triumph, the ultimate in field guide apps — and deservedly so.’
The Collins Bird Guide App combines world-class illustrations and comprehensive information with intuitive design to create the ultimate field guide for passionate birders and casual birdwatchers alike. The app is based on the landmark book by Lars Svensson, Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström, universally acknowledged as the standard European field guide. This definitive work has been reimagined for iPad and iPhone by birders for birders.
The Collins Bird Guide App provides everything you need to identify a species quickly and learn about it thoroughly. Immerse yourself in the exceptional illustrations, maps, calls and concise text. Use the powerful search filter and curated confusion lists to focus in on a species. The Collins Bird Guide App is an essential companion always to hand on your iPhone, and available to browse in full glory on your iPad.
• Over 700 species covered
• 3500+ beautiful illustrations by Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström
• Detailed text covering habitat, range, identification and voice by Lars Svensson
• Record sightings, location and date with the listing tool
• Powerful search filter
• Intuitive design to quickly and easily swipe through species
• Curated lists of confusable species
• Over 750 carefully selected songs and calls – many by Lars Svensson
• Select species names from 18 languages
• Expertly edited video clips for all 794 species in the app (In-App Purchases)
• Available in English, Swedish, Norwegian, French and German
• Weighs nothing!
As well as the optional video library, the app incorporates British Trust for Ornithology/BirdWatch Ireland/Scottish Ornithologists' Club Bird Atlas 2007–11 mapping data as an in-app purchase, providing the most comprehensive location mapping of any bird guide app.
Find out more about the app and its creators: collinsbirdguideapp.com
The Collins Bird Guide app requires iOS 9.0 or later.
If you like the Collins Bird Guide app, don’t forget to share the app, rate it and leave a review.
Minor bug fixes and tweaks
Ratings and Reviews
Great app, issue with In App Purchases
Have just downloaded this app to my iPad and IPhone. It is essentially the book with some additional features, such as being able to compare different species, bird songs and calls. Haven't yet explored all the facilities yet though!
One issue is the In App Purchases. The app comes with sample videos, presumably to tempt you to buy additional videos, which you will probably want to make the most of the app. Volume 1 is over 100 additional videos of common birds which is £5.99. I bought this but it came up with the message "not enough disk space" when I knew I had plenty.
To resolve this problem, I went to Settings and selected Restore App Purchases, the videos then downloaded.
Search by name of bird too fussy
Don’t get me wrong. I love this app. I haven’t needed the in-app purchases. Three birders have seen me use it in the field and decided they needed it too.
- Search by bird characteristics is incredibly powerful. Select what you see and where you are and this app narrows the options down very quickly.
- The bird song and call recordings included in the basic price. My warbler identification has come on in leaps and bounds. Definitely a benefit over the book!
- It is incredibly picky when searching for a bird by name. You must type it exactly to get a result. Type “Greater Spotted woodpecker” and nothing shows as it is “great spotted”. Miss out the hyphen in “Black-headed gull” and nothing shows. Some form of predictive search would help enormously.
- I miss those double-page spreads of waders in flight and raptors in flight. I now have them photographed from the book and stored on my phone as I use them often.
- It would be even better if you could choose two birds for comparison. eg Stonechat v Whinchat or Little Stint v Sanderling so you can compare quickly on the go.
Almost there but not complete
An excellent app but the rating is kept low because of a number of essential requirements need sorting/adding. Managing lists is incredibly difficult; using and retaining previous locations does not always work (even if I delete a sighting and start again), it does not default to the taxonomical list order I set but keeps showing date order. I would also like to copy an entry between lists and what if I change my device or want to share my list between iPhone and iPad? How about sharing sightings on social media? Managing locations should be a separate menu option with a larger screen to drop the pin. Above all there are no help pages. This is a premium cost app without premium features.
- NatureGuides Ltd.
- 907.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Norwegian Bokmål, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © NatureGuides Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Video Library Volume 1 – Common Birds of NW Europe £5.99
- BTO Atlas Maps Pack £1.99
- Video Library Volume 2 – Less Common & Local Species £8.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.