Concise Oxford English Dictionary with Audio
By MobiSystems, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Concise Oxford English Dictionary is the most popular dictionary of its kind around the world and is noted for its clear, succinct definitions as well as its comprehensive and authoritative coverage of the vocabulary of the English-speaking world. It includes over 50,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, available in both British & American voice versions, including those with controversial or variant pronunciations.
* Over 240,000 words, phrases, and definitions, covering technical and scientific vocabulary as well as English from around the world
* Hundreds of new words and phrases, based on the latest research from the Oxford English Corpus
* New usage notes on tricky vocabulary and grammar usage
Over 100 years after its first publication, the twelfth edition of this world-famous bestseller provides the most up-to-date picture of the English language today. The original 1911 edition, revolutionary at the time for its focus on current English and its use of illustrative examples, combined a succinct yet approachable style with coverage of everyday as well as specialist terms. This centenary edition continues this ground-breaking tradition, giving you rich authoritative coverage of English as it is used today.
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's New in Version 8.5.6
* Voice Search - speak to enter your searches quicker (iOS 10 only), also includes Voice Search Shortcut for all devices with 3D touch technology
* Voice Over - hear the word definition of your entries (iOS 8, 9 & 10)
Top drawer dictionary
Well designed app too. Could only be improved upon by upgrading to the full(er) version. Although to be honest, this almost always contains the word I'm looking for. It's only fairly arcane words that are omitted from this version.
I just learnt that the App is more 'presumptive' requesting I give it 5* than 'presumptuous'. It is a good App. Having it encourages me to look up big words before I use them incorrectly. Word of the day as another reviewer comments is not well designed. The App isn't very beautiful; they could make it look a bit more distinguished
Simple and easy to use, love the speaker icon that allows you to hear the pronunciation. I'd like to see improvements in searching, especially where I'm clueless about the spelling so need to search phonetically.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 23 February 2017
- Version: 8.5.6
- Size: 152 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Developer: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2017 MobiSystems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.