Cooking for Sport and Exercise
By Coventry University
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This app introduces recreationally active individuals and competitive athletes (amateur, elite, and professional), of all age groups, to foods and drinks that can help them meet the nutritional demands of their exercise, training and/or competitive programmes. All recipes have been developed and reviewed by qualified sport and exercise dietetic and nutritional professionals, are based on the scientific literature, and follow international evidence-based sport and exercise nutritional guidelines and recommendation.
This app is aimed at:
- Educating active individuals on the foods and drinks that will contribute to maintaining a healthy balanced dietary intake during periods of adherence to exercise.
- Educating active individuals on the foods and drinks important for optimising sport and exercise performance.
- Describing a variety of recipes that integrates and combines different food groups, contributing towards meeting the nutritional demands of exercise, training and/or competition programmes.
- Describing tasty and quick to make recipes to cater for the hectic lifestyle of active individuals.
- Providing sport and exercise specific recipes that are simple to make using ingredients that can be purchased from the local supermarket, food store or markets.
- Providing a nutritional breakdown of all the recipes, and compares these with healthy eating guidelines; providing information on how each recipe may contribute towards meeting the nutritional needs of an active individual.
- Applying sport and exercise specific key labels, so that recipe users know when and how to apply each recipe to their daily dietary and active lifestyle regimes.
What does this app feature?
- 62 sport and exercise specific recipes, with difficulty level and preparation time acknowledged, informing users recipe choice.
- Recipes categorised in relation to nutritional value or meal type. Categories include: Loading up the carbs, Where is the protein, Breakfast ideas, It’s snack time, Nutritious soups, Don’t forget the vegetables, Fabulous fruit, Modified traditional favourites, Sport and recovery drinks, Sport and exercise specials.
- Full nutritional breakdown (per 100g and per recommended portion) of each recipe to inform recipe choice and help meet the nutritional demands of exercise, training and competition programmes.
- An introduction to applied sport and exercise nutrition is given through 5 short and concise videos on the main nutrients needed for optimal sport and exercise performance.
- A dietary and training log is incorporated in this app for users to record and stored dietary habits and exercise/training regimes.
- Users also have the option to create their own sport and exercise specific recipes, and store these on the app for future use.
- A shopping list section is also included, whereby users can add items for purchase, or simply click an ingredient in the recipe section which will automatically be added to the shopping list.
- Additionally, -- selected cooking videos have also been added to guide users through the recipe preparation steps.
Absolutely brilliant app, thank you. I'm not a sporty person but am weight conscious & found the recipes delicious, very good value for money & very helpful. Also very easy to follow. I've shared some of the recipes with family & the dishes have been a great hit with them. I'd strongly recommend the app even for those who aren't sporty but great for those of us who like to eat healthily & enjoy lovely meals. Really good app to also gain nutritional knowledge.
This app is brilliant! So unique and tailored for sports nutrition but also the recipes are enjoyed by the whole family! It's a must if you're into sport and want to feed yourself well!
- Category: Sports
- Released: 05 September 2012
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 518 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Coventry University Enterprises Ltd
- © Coventry University 2012. All Rights Reserved
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.