CORE (http://core.kmi.open.ac.uk) is a system that aims to facilitate free access to scholarly publications. CORE provides access to millions of scholarly articles distributed across many Open Access repositories.
This application is a CORE mobile client for iPhone and iPad. The application makes it possible to search for scholarly publications available in CORE completely free of charge. The publications can be downloaded and stored on your device, for example in iBooks.
One of the main characteristics of CORE is that it enables searching for metadata and full-text content that is available as Open Access.Commercial publishers are charging high fees for providing access to content the creation of which has been paid by the taxpayer. CORE aims to work as a catalyst for change. Does it sound familiar that you discover an article you would like to read, but cannot access it
unless you pay a fee? This does not happen with CORE. While this means that CORE does not index full-text content for which a subscription is needed, it also means that all searchers for content are satisfied and all content is readily available.
We believe in free access to information. The mission of CORE is to:
- Support the right of citizens and general public to access the results of research towards which they contributed by paying taxes.
- Facilitate access to Open Access content for all by targeting
general public, software developers, researchers, etc., by improving search and navigation using state-of-the-art technologies in the field of natural language processing and the Semantic Web.
- Provide support to both content consumers and content providers by working with digital libraries and institutional repositories.
- Contribute to a cultural change by promoting Open Access.
- A brand new user interface
- Updated to iOS 7 design, feel and controls
- Enhanced bookmarking system
- Embedded CORE faceted search
- Full-text viewer embedded in the CORE Mobile application
- The ability to import downloaded articles into iBooks, Mendeley and other relevant software applications
- Functions with iCloud, resulting in automatic synchronisation of data between user's devices (e.g. iPhone and iPad).
Ratings and Reviews
Great idea but ...
Crashes almost constantly and articles don't load. Articles also won't export to any other app.
Can't see article previews
Would love to rate, but article preview shows only a blank screen on iOS 8. Export to iBooks also fails to display. How do people actually view the content using this app??
Does have issues but still works
This app does have some issues in the fact that if you want to start a new search it crashes everything ever time without fail but it does give u access to articles that are not found elsewhere but not all have been published which leads to the question of how reliable are the sources but the app is at a good starting point and I hope it finds a way to break down a very restricting problem for many health care professionals
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.