Create music to help express complex feelings. Cove is a personal musical journal to help you with your emotional and mental health.
• Create different musical moods and create music with over 30 different instruments
• Just tap and swipe. With simple controls there’s no way to do it wrong!
• Build a song using base chords, melody and percussion
• Store your Cove in a personal journal. A private space to write some thoughts about your feelings where you can add notes, images or tags.
HOW DOES COVE WORK?
We believe Cove has a role to play in improving emotional and mental health by encouraging self-expression.
Cove can be used any time, but may be most useful when you find it difficult to express yourself through other means, such as talking or writing. You can use Cove whenever you feel like it, there is no right or wrong way! You can make music by yourself, or share what you make with others.
WHAT OUR USERS SAY
“It's hard to express and understand our emotions sometimes, this app helps out a lot.”
“Love this app. It's so easy to use and so easy to create songs that reflect how I feel.”
“This app is just great. I've just been so anxious lately, over so many different things.”
“Really enjoyed the ease with which I can capture an emotion I am feeling at the moment.“
WHAT THE PRESS HAVE SAID
“The loops you make and save really can be an emotional outlet.”
“Cove is a journaling app that upends what you’d expect from a journaling app.”
TESTED IN THE NHS
Cove is currently being tested in the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK, and has been created in collaboration with specialists and clinicians. Cove was developed with young people in mind, but adults may find it equally useful to express and capture a mood or emotion.
Cove primarily uses music instead of words to express a feeling or mood, and so it may be helpful in conjunction with talking therapies and counselling. Cove is not a substitute for professional therapy, and not suitable for those experiencing severe distress or suicidal thoughts.
MADE WITH CARE BY HUMANE ENGINEERING
We made Cove because we want everyone to be able to express how they feel. We really love all the various ways people are using Cove. If you’ve enjoyed it too, please leave a review and tell us what you think.
Fresh for the summer, a new version of Cove! We’ve made some important, empowering changes for you, while fixing a few things.
We know how important it is to have a safe space to be yourself. That is why Cove is designed to preserve your privacy by keeping all your personal information locally on your phone - and not in the cloud.
We have never stored any personal data about you. We don’t keep any of it. Nothing. It is all in your hands - literally. Stored on your phone, never anywhere else, visible by anyone else.
• Improving privacy. We wanted to take privacy controls a step further. Now, when you update Cove you will see a message asking you to agree or disagree with our use of anonymised data. We use analytics to see how we can make Cove better - to see which sounds are most popular for example.
• We’ve also updated our privacy notice in the app, to explain how we use data in Cove. Our aim was to make something easy to understand. You can also change your privacy preferences there too!
• You asked, we deliver: We’ve added a few more ‘feeling word’ tags, because you know, there are lots of feelings.
• Cove now works beautifully on iPhone X!
• We fixed an audio bug on one of the instruments (‘Sharp Plastic’ for those keen eared out there)
• We have started some lovely Cove Cards, to help you kickstart some music making. If you are interested in getting some fresh inspiration in your inbox, sign up via cove-app.com!
DO YOU LOVE USING COVE?
We love hearing how people use Cove, please take a moment to rate us in the app store
Ratings and Reviews
Feeling really low, I was looking for things to do which could take my mind off stress of things piling on me. It actually really helped to uncover the levels at which things got to me, for example exams and work are pretty big things (sometimes underlying things) that make up the base and the mood, but smaller things like offhand comments (percussion) that then went into bigger things (melody). I have better understanding what to start fixing first.
Out of curiosity I tried this app when looking for something to calm me down when my anxiety gets to much in social situations. Not only by getting my thoughts out into musical form did the app benefit me but it also relieved the pressures around me into keeping my mind occupied. Would recommend to anyone who feels life gets a bit much sometimes 😊
Great App but one thing...
This is a great up that allows me to express my mood through music!
However, I really wish you could back you entries up into the cloud or connect it to Dropbox or something.
Other than that it’s a fantastic little app.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the helpful feedback! We’re looking into features like this for the next version, so really good to know people would like this. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy making more music!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.