Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming and Slang Dictionaries
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 7.0.2
- Fixed crash that affected users on older versions of iOS
- Solved Word of the Day updating issue
Fabulous: more philology!
This is a stupendous app, especially free: it's easy to ignore the adverts, so I use it daily, & place it next to my reading subscriptions so I can quickly reference exactly what a writer wants me to know. I love that it includes the origin & etymology of the words, however basic it is: more depth here please!
The Daily Word can be mildly annoying, but is easy to opt out of. Additionally, it is irritating that it doesn't recognise it's own hyperlinked words (eg in the origin section) written in capitals; instead, it gives you a list of words it "could" be, ie the exact word you're looking for, simply written in lower case! But as its therefore just one more click away, worse things happen at sea. I also wish it predicted misspelled queried words better.
However, while saying that, this is the only app review I have ever bothered writing / rating, I am that impressed! Download, no need to buy, & use!
Excellent app, but…
I think this app is fantastic, I use it daily for all my etymological queries but I have one small gripe…
I fully upgraded the app with all the add-ons though I did so individually rather than via the 'premium bundle', as such, I'm plagued with popups, trying to compel me to upgrade to remove the ads.
Obviously I'm reluctant to fork out on this without any additional content being granted. Thus, I am frustrated by what is, in all other respects, an excellent staple app.
Fun with words
This is a very useful dictionary and thesaurus, not just for crossword addicts. Clear and easy to use. But what I really enjoy is the Word of the Day. It pops up on the screen each morning and it's irresistible to find out the meanings. Amusing and educational too.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 20 April 2016
- Version: 7.0.2
- Size: 48.2 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Developer: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade£2.29
- Encyclopedia upgrade£2.29
- Remove Ads Upgrade£1.49
- 100 Voice to Text Searches£2.29
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade£1.49
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade£1.49
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade£2.29
- Translator Upgrade£0.79
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade£1.49
- Expert English£2.29