Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, slideshows & the blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Example sentences
• Word origin & history
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Medical Dictionary with over 35,000 medical words & definitions available as a premium upgrade
• Science Dictionary with over 23,000 science definitions & illustrations available as a premium upgrade
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• Modern, up-to-date English definitions & content
• Customizable font sizes for better readability
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
Tip: To turn Word of the Day notifications on or off, go to Settings > Notifications > Dictionary and toggle On or Off.
What's New in Version 4.4.1
Fixed an issue with iCloud sync that was being experienced by some users. This issue was causing the app to hang on launch.
New in v4.4:
• Exciting new content: Idioms & Phrases, Grammar & Tips, Slang Dictionary, and a complete Encyclopedia (available as premium upgrades)
• New in-app message center: receive word trivia and other bonus Dictionary.com content
• Backup your Favorites to iCloud so you can save them as you update (iOS7+)
• Fixed an issue that was causing app to crash when using the Translator
I've tried a few other dictionary apps and this is the best by far. Not only does it have a thesaurus, it translates to other languages, gives an interesting word of the day and if you are unsure how to pronounce a particular word just click on the speaker icon. I would definitely recommend this app, it's even worth paying for if this gets rid of the adverts!
Most useful app
Have found this extremely useful. After all, we all find ourselves at one time or another stuck on how to spell a word or understand the meaning of a word. This app gives much more information and its all in a tiny little phone, easy to carry about. What more could you want?
A simple pleasure
And enjoyment for the people that like words and their broad meanings, orthography and anything that has to do with a known or acquired language. For the curious that want a little bit of more understanding. A Dictionary -Thesaurus-Synonymes and antonymes, those are among the treasures to have.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 18 December 2013
- Version: 4.4.1
- Size: 57.7 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade£1.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade£1.49
- 100 Voice to Text Searches£1.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade£1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade£1.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade£1.49
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade£1.49
- Translator Upgrade£0.69
- The Writer's Toolbox£1.99
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade£1.49