By Farlex, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Free English dictionary, thesaurus, and encyclopedia, plus an offline dictionary, Wikipedia, and 14 languages. The only dictionary app with every word you look up: 1.3 million definitions of words and phrases from multiple authoritative dictionaries and encyclopedias, including legal and medical dictionaries and other specialty sources. Plus a Spanish dictionary, French dictionary, and 11 other languages. Translate words into 40+ languages, including English to Spanish, English to French, and more. Learn something new every day with Word of the Day and other daily articles.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the free reference category in 78 countries in 2011–2015. (Source: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/379450383/app-ranking/#device=iphone&type=best-ranks)
The Free Dictionary app has been downloaded tens of millions times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews—read a few to see why our users prefer The Free Dictionary over all other dictionary apps.
* Search 80+ English dictionaries from industry-leading publishers for both common and rare words, featuring extensive definitions, example sentences, etymologies, illustrations, and more.
* 280,000+ audio pronunciations, including both American and British pronunciations.
* 100,000+ entries in the offline English dictionary and thesaurus. Just switch to offline mode via the app menu to download offline content.
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to all your devices.
* Use native voice search to look up a word just by saying it. (With supported devices)
* See search suggestions as you type.
* Track your learning and earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by looking up words and playing word games!
* Learn something new every day with fresh daily facts and articles, including Word of the Day, This Day in History, Quote of the Day, Today's Birthday, Today's Holiday, and more. Even set notifications for daily delivery.
* Play word games, including Spelling Bee, Match Up, and Words Within Words, plus Hangman in a dozen different languages.
* Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with," and "In definition."
* Multiple thesaurus sources, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, and images.
* Multiple encyclopedias, including Columbia, Collins, even Wikipedia.
* Specialty dictionaries, including Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Acronyms and Abbreviations, and more.
* Online dictionaries in 13 other languages, including a Spanish dictionary, French dictionary, and 11 others: German, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Greek, Arabic, Polish, Norwegian, and Turkish.
* Translate English words into more than 40 languages, plus dozens of other translation options.
* Standard and IPA pronunciation keys.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page with the highlight feature.
* Search for words on the page.
* Customize your homepage: add or remove articles, games, even horoscope and local weather in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Share your favorite words, encyclopedia entries, and daily articles via social networks, email, and text.
* Adjust font size.
* Full iOS 8 support.
* For app developers: TheFreeDictionary.com app has the ability to be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions on accessing TFD).
* This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
How do we do it?
Farlex is a leader in dictionary apps. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in the App Store.
What's New in Version 4.6
* Bug fixes.
* If you like The Free Dictionary app, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! We read every single review we receive, but unfortunately the App Store does not give us the ability to respond. If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd.com. How quickly we reply may surprise you!
This is The One!
I used to have several dictionary Apps a while ago, but gradually deleted all the others and just stuck with this one. Reasons being because it's very thorough and gives good examples when I need to check or know the meaning of a word. The main reason why I use this.
Also has really good word games and other useful offerings.
Nice selection of features.
This app is more than just a great reference source, the games and trivia are a great way to get your brain working first thing in the morning. The app works well with VoiceOver however if you want a smoo experience it it is worth paying for the add free upgrade as it allows for a smoother reading experience.
Great little app
I've had this app for a long time now and I love it.
It's obviously serves primarily as a dictionary but it also has some extras including word of the day, article of the day, hangman, this day in history, weather and match up words & meaning... and more.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 08 July 2015
- Version: 4.6
- Size: 16.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Developer: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2015 Farlex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Ad-free upgrade£1.49