Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus for iPad
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, slideshows & the blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Example sentences
• Word Origin & History
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Medical Dictionary with over 45,000 medical words & definitions available as a Premium Upgrade
• Science Dictionary with over 8,500 science definitions & illustrations available as a Premium Upgrade
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• Slang Dictionary with over 19,000 modern and fun definitions available as a Premium Upgrade
• Grammar & Tips available as a Premium Upgrade
• Idioms & Phrases with over 10,000 idioms available as a Premium Upgrade
• Modern, up-to-date English definitions & content
• Customizable font sizes for better readability
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
What's New in Version 4.0
Fun new Word of the Day Quiz widget - iOS 8
Optimized and enhanced for iOS 8
Improved translator feature
New Word of the Day images
General performance improvements
Very useful and informative app...
I built this up gradually to contain all the extra contents and have been very happy with the output. The dictionary, thesaurus, idioms and translator have been particularly useful.
Not to say that it is foolproof but gets most input to a satisfactory conclusion. Very useful on iPad as I am bed bound and the tablet is small enough to lie next to me at bed to pick up constantly to check on spelling and the etymology of words and phrases. I read a great deal of literature,mostly non-fiction and text books, also German tomes and the translator is very helpful.
I would recommend to anyone who has a need for quick access to all these features.
An Invaluable asset
It does not matter who you are, whether well educated or not, everyone in this world needs a dictionary that they can rely upon. I use this daily, I used to shrug off words I would hear in a conversation that I didn't understand, whereas now I simply find out the meaning in less than a minute. I prefer to use this app because the Internet can have such unreliable sources and as a poet I use the thesaurus like I use oxygen hehe and I know 100% that I can rely upon this app to work all the time.
This delightful app is one of my favourites, so much content and so so useful. Not wanting to take it too much for granted but many of my contact e mails or poems might well be illegible had this app not been available. I would recommend it for anyone who regards themselves a "Wordsmith" Thank you to all concerned for its development (😃 🚘 7) By comparison all my book form Dictionaries stand side side on the shelf simply gathering dust. Next stop for them without any doubt is the Charity shop 😑
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 22 December 2014
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 166 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Developer: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade£2.29
- Ad-Free Upgrade£2.29
- Encyclopedia upgrade£2.29
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade£1.49
- set of 100 voice to text searches£2.29
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade£1.49
- Expert English£3.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade£2.29
- Translator Upgrade£1.49
- Power Pack Upgrade£5.99